Repurposing Home Audio asusten for Guitar Speaker cabinet/amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello DIYers, I’ll be prefacing by saying I am a noob when it comes to audio and just realized in the past year all that goes into it. That being said:

I’m a guitarist of 7 years and just got into the electric guitar rig world about a few months ago. I just got a home audio system from a friend and I was thinking “what if I could turn this into a sick cab setup?”

The system in question is a Sony MHC-EC919iP

It’s got both full range and a sub, I just want to use the full range. What would go into making this? More specifically, can I salvage the Amp in the system and repurpose for guitar? I understand drivers pretty well and I know I could do it with those. The amp thing is what makes me wonder, specifically as it relates to controlling EQ settings because well... it’s for a guitar.

I’d love to salvage amp since the ohms already match.

Any and all help is thoroughly appreciated!

Ps., this is a link to the manual for said system https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4467/44677862M.pdf

Attachments

• DBCB4B7B-EBCD-4C42-8CA1-BBDCB1173977.jpg
    DBCB4B7B-EBCD-4C42-8CA1-BBDCB1173977.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 122
Hifi speakers are designed for faithfully reproducing the sound of the original signal, adding no coloration ideally. Guitar speakers are intended as part of the sound, they are INTENDED to color the sound and add their own quality to the sound.

The one single thing that affects the sound of a guitar amp most is the speaker it plays through.

Hifi speakers tend to be less efficient than guitar speakers, part of getting more even response over a wide range. Guitar speakers have a limited response range, and generally are fading out in the 3k-5kHz range.

Plug your guitar into this system ans hear what it sounds like.

That said, the modeling type of amps simulate different speaker amp combinations and then is sent to a neutral speaker. It really depends on your expectations or ability. If you plan on playing at polite levels the speaker's may survive. Then there is the distortion aspect. A guitar preamp with a speaker emulation circuit can get part of the way and may be good enough. Maybe start off with as distortion pedal type circuit and go from there.

Last edited:
Plug your guitar into this system and hear what it sounds like.
Excellent advice! :)

It's unlikely to work as a proper stage performance amp, but when you're playing guitar just for fun at home, it doesn't have to sound like a real guitar amp, it just has to be fun.

You will most likely need some sort of buffer circuit between guitar and boombox, so that the guitar sees the high impedance it needs. If you own any guitar pedals, try one of those; possibilities include a clean boost pedal, or a graphic EQ pedal, or a reverb or chorus pedal, or even an overdrive pedal with the gain set very low.

As I write this, I have an old thrift-store boombox speaker near the couch, wired up to a cheap class-D power amp module and a small Yamaha mixer. My guitar goes through a cheap Donner reverb pedal into the mixer's line input. One or two vocal mics go to the little mixer's two mic inputs. Instant sing & play fun for myself and/or my wife.

The lack of a proper guitar speaker makes the electric guitar sound pretty muffled and lifeless, but it's good enough to have some fun with. (And there are ways to improve the guitar tone, such as the ones Guerrilla suggested - even an old Zoom G3 or similar multiFX pedal with onboard amp sims and cab sims.)

-Gnobuddy

While I had no speakers in my guitar cab I ran my guitar through Hifi speakers and it sounded awesome.

caveat being: I used an effect pedal board with line out jacks, so it was more like a DI box with effects. So i guess it was pretty much a simple Guitar into desk setup for recording.

I wouldn't use a hifi speaker in a guitar amplifier, in place of a guitar speaker.

Using through a monitor speaker, via hifi, fed by amp modelling pedal, that is absolutely fine. A cool bonus when set up like this is that most if these pedal boards have stereo delays/reverbs that can sound awesome and hugely immersive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.