EVM-15L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought I'd be able to tinker away, building a new bass cabinet, when I lucked into a cheap pair of EVM-15L drivers (quite old, but unused). Except I find they're 'L' lead guitar units - nice if I can ever find a Maton L202 'lute' guitar, but not much good for my current bass (I have an L101).

So I've since been searching for something, well, to search for. Like (for Maton), maybe a V707 that needs refurbishment (and some new drivers for the speaker cabinet), or a V606 head unit that needs a speaker cabinet to go with it. Or, basically something (anything) to do with these drivers.

I guess they could be used in a stereo pair of speakers (if I can find those horn mids I'm sure I still have), but I doubt they'd be hifi. And they wouldn't really be able to hit anything below about 60Hz. OK for the garage, I guess, but not for inside...

Any ideas?

classic front horn driver specs - - here's some sims. Jim Bell's "SS15" might extract the most bass for a tolerable size (?)

It sounds good with guitar in Acoustic Control's little 115BK Karlson box. It would be good in the original "K15" Karlson cabinet
and probably half space F10 around 50Hz.

hshrrrH.png

Last edited:
A Klipsch Belle could make a cool old school W bin for bass guitar and with 15L its back chamber could be vented. Plugs or a cover could be used to convert the chamber from sealed to vented.

I used its close brother, La Scala for the sim. Fane had a little W-bin too which probably would work. A midrange horn or loud direct radiator would probably help tone wise.

rsiUSrF.png

I'll have a search on these. The 'standard' enclosure from EV was 90 litres vented at 55Hz. There was an extended one also. Actually, I forgot they were so efficient - they don't have to be driven hard to produce a satisfactory noise. I might be able to find an old head unit that needs some refurbishing and simply build it into a cabinet with both drivers.
wiring them in parallel just means the head has to be a bit more powerful (10W instead of 5)?

yeah - -its really tough to beat EV's recommended vented box - they had their tech and knowledge down "pat" decades ago.

It's just a shame that they haven't moved on from that point. If they'd kept up, then we wouldn't be looking at anything else.
I've had someone offer me a V606 head amp (and the speaker cabinet). I'm thinking real hard - I recon it might work with the EV's even though it was designed for 12"s.

I thought I'd be able to tinker away, building a new bass cabinet, when I lucked into a cheap pair of EVM-15L drivers (quite old, but unused). Except I find they're 'L' lead guitar units -
Lucky you, they are also the ones to use for Bass, and everybody used them for that.
Bass sound is incredibly clear and defined, a must in typical Rock venues with poor acoustics and always way too large.

EVM15-B, its partner, is meant for PA woofer duty only.
It offers a slightly extrended lower range but at the unbearable price (unless you play Reggae Bass that is) of absolute loss of Bass definition and projection.

Lucky you, they are also the ones to use for Bass, and everybody used them for that.
Bass sound is incredibly clear and defined, a must in typical Rock venues with poor acoustics and always way too large.

EVM15-B, its partner, is meant for PA woofer duty only.
It offers a slightly extrended lower range but at the unbearable price (unless you play Reggae Bass that is) of absolute loss of Bass definition and projection.

Thanks, Juan.

I'm sold. I'll keep them, have a look at getting a separate head unit (similar vintage to my bass) and build up a box to play them in (maybe based on their 'standard' enclosure, maybe based on the SS15). As I won't be taking them out to play, I don't have to make the bullet-proof, just wife-proof.

classic front horn driver specs - - here's some sims. Jim Bell's "SS15" might extract the most bass for a tolerable size (?)

It sounds good with guitar in Acoustic Control's little 115BK Karlson box. It would be good in the original "K15" Karlson cabinet
and probably half space F10 around 50Hz.

hshrrrH.png

Hi freddi,

Do you have a Sunn 200S or a Dean Markley BC215D to sim these in. They look like a good size (with small back box to reduce excursion) plus an interesting resonator to improve bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.