Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Looking to build a small Guitar Amp
Looking to build a small Guitar Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2019, 09:15 PM   #31
multibiker is offline multibiker  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trzstan View Post
Thanks, let me know how it turns out. How much are you building yours for? It's about $600-700 to get a kit where I am.
Sounds about right. I haven't added it up yet but mine will be in that range, maybe a little more since I will be using a 10" speaker. I'll post a video of the design process and build on Youtube when I'm done.

John
Old 21st June 2019, 06:12 AM   #32
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
Back to your situation, on the plus side, we all know you have the chops to design and build your own cut-price Champ-alike using whatever valves are cheapest in your corner of the world, along with an Altronics 100 V audio line transformer, a cheap mains isolation transformer, a few surplus camera-flash capacitors, and a thrift-store baking pan.
Like this?
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
Now that I have access to a small wood-shop, I've been able to make my own cabs from the cheapest wood
I found some even cheaper wood (an old desk) but it's not working out cheaper (as I had to cut 45 mitres and I'm out by about a degree )

Last edited by thoglette; 21st June 2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 21st June 2019, 06:46 AM   #33
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Of course, one needs to genuflect before the $50 amp from Tubelab_com

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st June 2019, 07:30 PM   #34
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I made the amp in the picture above for the Hundred Buck Amp Challenge. During that adventure there was some heated debate about what constitutes a "tube amp." The loudest objector in the bunch stated that there should not be ANY silicon in the signal path even though this was agreed to in the rules before the challenge started.

Therefore, the amp sitting on my hand has diodes for the rectifier, and no other active parts except tubes. It worked, but just didn't SCREAM, so it wound up in a box and, that box got stuffed in a warehouse during the time period where my career ended, a 1200 mile move ensued, and "retirement" started.

Several years later I found the amp, and fired it up.....BORING, so I ripped it apart. I reinvented the circuit with flying parts. The result is in the first picture. Now it works great, makes more power, 3 watts clean, over 4 cranked, but doesn't quite fit back in the box.....So

I made a new PC board and made a new amp with nice parts and a Hammond chassis. Pictures....

It still looks like that today....never did stuff it back in the box. It can be seen here sitting on top of a DIY speaker cabinet above the third fret.

A little over a year ago there was a dispute about my actual B+ voltage, so I wired a meter from OPT CT to ground which displayed almost 170 volts at idle, and 165.4 volts when doing a trainwreck style feedback with all knobs dimed. Pictures of meter, and the $16 power transformer that couldn't possibly produce 165 volts loaded.

Schematic included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AmpFurball_x.jpg (707.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis_1_x.jpg (601.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis_3_x.jpg (520.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis_4_x.jpg (387.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg NewGuitar_x.jpg (862.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1000765_x.jpg (591.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1000767_x.jpg (585.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1000768_x.jpg (634.9 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GTA_4T_11-10.pdf (22.6 KB, 10 views)

Looking to build a small Guitar AmpHide this!Advertise here!