Zero experience! Wanting to learn with Sidechain EQ - reasonable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello - this is my first post here. First off - I know next to nothing about audio electronics, DIY, mods or repairs but have wanted to for years so I joined here to see if I can get a start. I have loads of experience in audio processing but experience with processing & production does not equal knowledge of the electronics - in that regard I'm lucky if I can solder two wires together on the 1st try.

I'd like to design and build a relatively-easy something I'll actually use, not just a test project. At the moment I'm looking for a sidechain EQ for compression control. Without knowing the complexity of designing such a thing I've come up with this concept - it would cover almost any sidechaining need I may encounter:

HP 20-350, 18db/oct slope
Peak 20-20k / -12db/+12db / Variable Q (1.0-8.0)
Shelf 20-20k / Fixed Q 1.0 / -12db/+12db
1/4" In + Out (TS / TRS?) for interfacing with pro level gear / SC
(I assume this would be an active design to keep it simplest, but unsure.)

Now, I have no idea how complex this would be, especially with the crossover frequencies and the parametric band - from what I've found a HP is quite simple, but no idea about the complexities when it's integrated into such a design. Can anyone comment / point me to a place to start or fill in the blanks (and they're mostly blanks) about what this would involve?

Thanks!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
First question. Are you sure these slopes are what you want? If not and you have a linux laptop then give the calf studio tools a run as they allow you to test out the filters you want digitally and be sure you are choosing the right ones.

I would also pop over to Pro Audio Design Forum - Pro Audio Design Forum and have a look at some of the designs there. They are a friendly bunch and lots of schematics posted for exactly what you want to do.

Looking at your requirements a variable Q peaking filter that can do the entire audio band could get tricky as you are switching a lot of components. 3 Bands would make more sense here. But nothing impossible, although I would make it modular so you can add as required.

First question. Are you sure these slopes are what you want? If not and you have a linux laptop then give the calf studio tools a run as they allow you to test out the filters you want digitally and be sure you are choosing the right ones.

I would also pop over to Pro Audio Design Forum - Pro Audio Design Forum and have a look at some of the designs there. They are a friendly bunch and lots of schematics posted for exactly what you want to do.

Looking at your requirements a variable Q peaking filter that can do the entire audio band could get tricky as you are switching a lot of components. 3 Bands would make more sense here. But nothing impossible, although I would make it modular so you can add as required.
The applications for side-chaining in the way I'd be using it should be well covered by those filters. I didn't spend a ton of time coming up with them - 15 minutes with a digital parametric EQ and knowing the dozen or so ways I use sidechaining - of course if people are already building dedicated multi-band sidechain filters there certainly may be better, time-tested designs and I'd want to take a look at those to see if there's more sense in an existing design (and its filters) rather than reinventing, especially considering my newbie-ness!

I do have a linux VM available, but is there anything more calf studio would provide over using an EQ (Acon Digital's EQ) as I did? I had a look at all the slopes and interactions and they add up for my usage.

On the 20-20 variable - are you saying this would be better split into 3rds (of the total 10 octaves) and incorporating 2 additional pots (+ Q for each & gain for each)? - it's stuff like this (why the full range would be possibly problematic) where I don't know a thing, though I chose that thinking that the design would be much easier and liked the idea of only 3 pots for frequency selection..

Thanks for the input - I will check out any / all DIY pro-audio forums I can find - I'll pay a visit to the one you mentioned. :)

One way to cover 1000:1 frequency ratio is to use 10:1 potentiometer range and 3 switched capacitances - one circuit, but switched. Very large ratios of resistance are a problem as large resistances introduce noise, and small resistances are hard to drive from the previous stage.

30:1 potiometer range and two switched capacitances is also feasible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.