Baldwin PC 40 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Baldwin PC40 amplifier that I am working on converting to a bass amp. The tube compliment is 2- 5U4GB rectifier tubes, 4-6L6GC Power Tubes and a 6SL7 "preamp"/phase splitter. The amp is PPP configured. I've got an external 6SC7 preamp I am attempting to connect and got some excellent advice for specific questions regarding the preamp. I was told to connect B+ to 250V. My question is can I scavenge this voltage from the 6SL7 tube? I know this is probably a hugely basic question, but this is my first foray into tube anything and I got the amplifier for like $10 and the preamp for a dollar. So $11 for a tube amplifier is something the tinkerer in me couldn't pass up and I've always been curious about them.

I know the amplifier works because I can hook my sansamp to it and get good sound. I also have an ART mic preamp that drives the amp extremely well. It's just the amp itself needs an additional gain stage or 2 and this other preamp should provide the additional voltage gain I need.

Yeah heater wires aren’t a problem. I know where they are and where they go. I also know where the ground wire goes and the output signal wire. That’s really the only connection I was unsure of. I thought as much but wasn’t sure. Thank you. I’ll get it soldered up this weekend, Fire it up and see if it works. If it doesn’t, I’m going to buy a chassis sockets and start from scratch

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not sure this is the same amp, it has an extra tube.

But the end of the main B+ string is where you would tap preamp power. The preamp should have its own B+ filtering.

Attachments

• BaldwinModel40.gif
    BaldwinModel40.gif
    33 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.