Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Is it easy to transform a volume pedal into a USB MIDI controller?
Is it easy to transform a volume pedal into a USB MIDI controller?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2019, 03:27 PM   #1
amundsen is offline amundsen
diyAudio Member

Question Is it easy to transform a volume pedal into a USB MIDI controller?

Hello,

I have a Roland passive volume pedal. I want to transform it into a MIDI USB foot controller. I plan to use a Teensy microcontroller as an analog to USB converter.

However I have a few questions about the analog part of the circuit:
1. Is it mandatory to send some signal to the pedalís input and take the pedalís output as information to be digitized or is there some way to avoid sending a signal to the input?
2. In case itís mandatory to send a signal to the pedalís input, would you rather recommend to use an AC or a DC signal?

Thank you.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

DC, it will just be a potentiometer. However it will likely be log-law, and you would be better with a linear-law pot for digitizing the wiper voltage - it may be possible to replace the potentiometer part of the pedal if it uses standard variety of pot (and not some special purpose one)
Old 6th June 2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Gerrit Boers is offline Gerrit Boers  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The Using USB MIDI contains general information and at the bottom there's a link to a foot pedal controller that might be just what you're looking for: Footsy - Teensy 2 based MIDI foot pedal controller
Old 7th June 2019, 06:44 AM   #4
amundsen is offline amundsen
diyAudio Member

I have found this article using a simple split-cable but I have to check whether my pedal has a linear or a logaritmic resisance if I want to use it with a linear ADC.

This one explains how to hack the pedal itself.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by amundsen; 7th June 2019 at 07:04 AM.

Is it easy to transform a volume pedal into a USB MIDI controller?Hide this!Advertise here!