Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

DIY Guitar Amp Attenuator
DIY Guitar Amp Attenuator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2019, 04:43 AM   #1
Moss Driver is offline Moss Driver  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Guitar Amp Attenuator

Hi to all,

I'm having a go at building this 100W 8 ohm attenuator here for my Son:
DIY Workshop: How to build your own attenuator - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar
I've got a 16 ohm speaker load to drive but have already sourced all the parts on the BOM for this build.
(Speakers are 2 X 12" 8 Ohm speakers wired in series for 16 Ohm operation)

Does anyone know of a way one could move the 8 ohm resistor into series with the L-Pad to achieve 16 Ohm load being 'seen' by the amp? (My best guess)

I've got a DPST switch and figure I could add the 8 Ohm 100w resistor in series right at the attenuator's output to 'add' it to the L-Pad's already 8 ohm load. If that makes sense?

I've attempted a schematic with a proposed change for 8 and 16 ohm switching, but I'm unsure if I build this, if it will fry something.

Any thoughts welcome!

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Attenuator.JPG (47.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Attenuator 8-16 query.jpg (76.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Moss Driver; 2nd June 2019 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Switch type incorrect
Old 2nd June 2019, 05:24 AM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you need the *amplifier* to see 16 Ohms?

Then your plan is not right.

Here's a hasty hack. A "drawback" is it won't turn all the way up, only to "half" loudness. However full loudness is on the bypass;, when you want "less!" then half is probably the most you would need.

EDIT- it may be "safer" to not even offer an 8r choice, if the amplifier is normally used on 16. Leave the big 8r resistor in circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif MossDriver.gif (37.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: gif MossDriver-2.gif (32.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by PRR; 2nd June 2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Moss Driver is offline Moss Driver  Australia
diyAudio Member

Edit: Hey thanks for the drawings dude.
I think I see what you mean, but have several questions, so I better go read up.

Hope this helps.

I have three valve guitar amplifiers.
All three amplifiers have 8 and 16 ohm speaker sockets/outputs.
One particular speaker cabinet is a 2X12" and is 16 Ohm.
The other speaker cab I use is 8 Ohm.
I don't use them at the same time.

I would like an attenuator to be able to handle both the 8 and 16 ohm cabinets, (not at at the same time, of course).

So, in answer to your question, I am unsure.
I use the 16 ohm cabinet into 16 ohm sockets on my amps, likewise for 8 ohm speakers into 8 ohm sockets.
I guess I am trying to make the amplifier 'see' 16 ohms, for when I am using the 16 ohm cab and the 16 ohm socket on my amp.
But I know I am missing something...
Maybe it is simple to revise my speaker impedance values to a uniform 8 ohms.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited by Moss Driver; 2nd June 2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Thanks for drawings!

DIY Guitar Amp AttenuatorHide this!Advertise here!