6SC7 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a 6SC7 tube microphone preamp off an auction site. I am trying to marry it to a Baldwin PC40 organ amplifier. The Baldwin doesn't have a preamp powerful enough to amplify a bass signal. If I hook up my Sansamp in front of it, the amplifier works perfectly. So I bought this other preamp to connect to it in the hopes that I will have an all tube bass rig fairly cheaply.

The problem is that what I thought would be a simple project, has turned out to not be so. I have a minimal understanding of how tube circuits work however, I don't have any experience with the circuits myself and really have no one local that does and can lend assistance.

I have connected a 1/4" input replacing the RCA style input that was originally attached. I have the jack hooked up correctly. the signal goes to the tip and the ground goes to ground.

There's a 6SC7 tube and a 10MFD 450WV capacitor on the top of the preamp. It has an output wire and 4 other wires. The yellow and white twisted wires are connected to pins 7 and 8 which according to the pinout are for the heaters so I am assuming I can tap into the 6.3V heater wires coming off the amplifier transformer to get heater power. The black wire is connected to the preamp chassis ground so I assume I can connect the other end to the main amplifier ground. The last preamp wire is red and it connects to a terminal strip along with a couple of resistors and 1 of those resistors is connected to the capacitor.

I have NO IDEA where on the main amplifier I should connect the other end of that wire and I'm hoping that one of you fine people will be able to help tell me what purpose that last wire serves. I'm assuming it's a mains power wire, but I don't want to hook it to power until I am sure because I don't want to blow anything up, nor do I relish the idea of getting an electrical current passed thru my body. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Frank. can you explain to me how this works without any transformer at all? Does the pre depend entirely upon the main amplifier for necessary transformer use?

I THINK the B+ "fills up" the capacitor providing power to the tube and as the capacitor is depleted, B+ "tops it off"?

I wish I could tell you that, but I can't. Not that it's some super secret, but that I just don't know. All I know is that it was handwritten labelled as a mic preamp and I have been playing hell trying to figure out where this one particular wire went to make the damned thing work.

attached to the 6SC7:
Solar sealedtite wax molded paper capacitor
pin2: .01MFD 400DCWV
pin 3: .005MFD 600DCWV
pin 4: .005MFD 600DCWV and other end is connected to 1/4" input jack
pin 5: .02MFD 600DCWV
and there's another .01 MFD 400DCWV with one end going to ground.

There's a big metal capacitor labelled 10MFD 450 WV marked twice. once with a triangle and the second with a square.

the triangle marked side of the big metal capacitor is connected to pin 5 and the square marked side is connected to a terminal strip that also has that unknown to me wire.

Here are the pictures of the preamp I'm trying to work on.

Attachments

• preamp 1.jpg
    preamp 1.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 63
  • preamp 2.jpg
    preamp 2.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 58
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.