Advice on a new amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I've started a project where my trusty Fender Blues Jr simply isn't keeping up. The tone I'm getting through it is good for what we're doing (garage/rock/blues sorta thing - we even use some slide guitar!). So I think I just need a bigger Blues Jr... ?

My offsider plays a Sunn Model T 50w combo and a Rickenbacker 330, which he's getting some big fat juicy tones out of, so I want to hit those higher, raspy, dare I say 'ice pick' tones. Maybe be a tad cleaner than he is too as his tone gets quite woolly. I play a US Std strat. My initial thoughts were to get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - similar design to the Blues Jr, but 6L6 tubes @ 40w.

Then I saw there's also a Fender Blues Deluxe - also 6L6 @ 40w.Then today I remembered the Peavey Delta Blues amps, which I've never tried. Or should I go all out and get a Fender twin? We will be gigging soon so I'd prefer something portable though. The twins are HEAVY... Anyway, over to you guys, what do yas reckon?
Why You Need to Use Outsource Healthcare Software Development

Last edited:
IMHO, the Twin is too much amp for guitar in a less-than-arena setting. You can't get to the sweet spot until you are overpoweringly loud. The best is a Blackface Fender Super Reverb (2 x 6L6s @~ 40 watts, 4 x 10") or Pro Reverb (2 x 6L6s @~ 40 watts, 2 x 12"). If you cain't afford an original, BUILD one---Weber ($), Hoffman ($$) and MojoTone ($$$) all have kits for this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.