Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

The dumbest thing I've ever seen in amp construction....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2019, 11:30 PM   #61
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
wow!
Wow?
Very few people have access to the back of their unit. They're almost always on a shelf against a wall. They slide it part way out on the shelf and bend over their unit from the front to make connections.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 22nd May 2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: removed stuff
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:41 AM   #62
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

A flux band (belly band, hum strap ... etc) specifically aims to 'trap' leakage flux and dissipate it local to the transformer, rather than let the flux splay out and interact with other circuits/parts.
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:26 AM   #63
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
...They slide it part way out on the shelf and bend over their unit from the front to make connections.
Not being familiar with this particular amp, I simply assumed the chassis mounts to the top of the housing, valves hanging down, as in many Fender guitar amps. Which, of course, would make the lettering right side up.
-Gnobuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
...But then why did they solder (weld) it?
Probably because it's a relatively inexpensive way to make a really heavy-duty mounting plate, big enough for four mounting bolts, and beefy enough to cope with the weight of the transformer even during rough handling.

It's just one big flat steel plate - much simpler than several cut and bent metal mounting flanges, plus mounting bolts to hold them to the transformer core, no?

By all accounts, Peavey got their start and early successes by making reliable, good quality equipment at lower prices than the competition, using modern manufacturing methods and cost-effective construction.

These days nobody says "reliable", "good quality", and "Peavey" in the same breath. They seem to have completely lost their way, and the people that run the company lost all focus on quality. What a pity. (If you haven't seen it, Google for and watch the episode of "Undercover Boss" featuring Peavey. It gives us a pretty ugly look at the way Peavey was being managed and run at the time of the filming.

But before they completely lost their way, at one time they did do some clever things to cut costs without cutting quality. Leo Fender would have approved, as he himself did exactly the same thing whenever possible.
-Gnobuddy
Old 23rd May 2019, 04:32 AM   #64
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Gnobuddy

Yes, what look like screws can be bolts ... I assumed they were screws that were located from inside the chassis outwards, threaded into the metal support plate and what I thought I would see would be the tips of them rusted ... it is not possible to discern, but for the case it is the same, screws or bolts .....

Undoubtedly, it is designed to be placed upside down, something very common in "heads" of guitar amplifiers.

What they mention of the copper ring, is in the power transformer, and the mystery of the welding is clearly in the coupling transformer of the outlet valves, it is very far from them, and all the components are generously separated from each other just to minimize the overheating of them, since the heat rises, affecting the whole in general.
These guys knew what they were doing, since as you say the amplifier is located upside down, as we checked in the silkscreen of the 12AX7 valve.
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:25 AM   #65
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow?
Very few people have access to the back of their unit. They're almost always on a shelf against a wall. They slide it part way out on the shelf and bend over their unit from the front to make connections.
That's what I thought, makes perfect sense and I presumed that's why no one had mentioned it before
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:28 AM   #66
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
Not being familiar with this particular amp, I simply assumed the chassis mounts to the top of the housing, valves hanging down, as in many Fender guitar amps. Which, of course, would make the lettering right side up.
-Gnobuddy
That also makes perfect sense
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:54 PM   #67
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

It's like the Heinz ketchup plastic squeeze bottle label.
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:05 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
That also makes perfect sense

Practicing empathy ?

that's good, but do not leave me out ...

Old 23rd May 2019, 02:57 PM   #69
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's like the Heinz ketchup plastic squeeze bottle label.
Yes, but the wife still puts it back in the fridge upside down.

Every time.
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265, T2 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 24th May 2019, 01:54 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow?
Hi Cal

Yes, I had that problem until I decided to face the possibility of a divorce.

It was hard, but I won, and in the living room you can see all the wires in sight, which was the reason for the discord.
I also modified the furniture adding wheels in the base, you just turn it and you have all the connections accessible.

That was another concession, the wheels were also objected by WAF, in their eyes they also looked frightening as the cables, so I added pieces of wood and they were hidden.
I must clarify, recently was our 42nd wedding anniversary, this consensus would not have been achieved long ago, time can do everything ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190214_225746.jpg (349.8 KB, 145 views)

The dumbest thing I've ever seen in amp construction....Hide this!Advertise here!