EL34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just got brand new JJ EL34 matched pair for my Marshall 50W (clone) and since I am a solid state guy and have no experience with tubes I would like to ask here. When 6.3VAC is applied to heaters, one of the tube rattles like a rattlesnake. Does it mean there is something loose inside the tube and hence the mechanical noise? Should I get a new pair or live with it?

OK, thanks. Good to know. I sent them for replacement. Meanwhile I ordered another pair of EL34, Mullard this time. They feel and look more solid to me. Dead quiet and seem more rugged. I was also looking on different tube manufacturers like Svetlana or Tung Sol but they have a little different internal construction. I don't like that top and bottom isolating spacer. The whole construction seems to float in the space, unlike the Mullard has both spacers leaning on the glass and holding it nicely in position.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.