Do I need a pre amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a "Sonic Impact Boom Bag" (basically a back pack with an amplified speaker system built in). It is intended to take an output signal from an Ipod, Walkman(yes I said a Walkman), or other personal sound system. I am thinking that it would be a great practice amp for an electric guitar. As the intended input is coming from an existing preamp, will I need to incorporate a preamp between my guitar and the input of the amplifier. Unfortunately the specs of the unit is no longer available so I do not know what the input specs should be. Anyone have any ideas?

The problem is guitar pick-ups are usually very high impedance 100K or more and when You connect them to a normal amp 10-20K impedance You get that thin sound. Yes You need some sort of impedance matching gig. An injection box or guitar pedal is usually used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.