Single pot tone stack (EL84)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I have modified an amp I have. 12AX7 + EL84

It is now basically an AX84 P1 circuit without the tone stack.
See circuit here:
http://www.ax84.com/static/p1/AX84_P1_101004.pdf

I don't need controls for mid treb and bass, I prefer just a single tone knob.

Can someone recommend me a single pot tone stack?

Should I just use the tone stack with fixed resistors somewhere in the middle of the range and have bass be with a pot?

TMB fixed?

TMBfixed.jpg

I'd like to have it with a single knob. The chassis already has a hole and "EQ" printed on it :)

Single knob it is :)

The mids and bass frequencies are 'fixed' with resistors, only trebles have a pot, and you can tweak these resistors to get the mids and basses at you taste, I think.

I mistook the pot for the volume, cooking while looking.
I hope I didn't leave the knife in the pie that's in the oven now... ??

I actually think this is the one i'll end up using.

Should I put it before or after the master volume?

Last edited:
Try a mid cut control rather than a tone control. It will clean up the amp when on minimum setting and give a little mid boost when up full.

Merlin has a version in his book. Otherwise look for the framus mid control.

Of course you can adjust the frequencies and depth to suit.

...this tweed circuit I found...
I know you may have already ruled out the Tweed control, but in case you re-consider it, please be aware that the Tweed tone control is highly interactive with the volume control.

This means that the tone control behaves differently at every setting of the volume control. Turn the volume to maximum, and the tone control (treble boost) stops working altogether.

It works the other way too, i.e. turning the tone control will change the volume.

Imagine a car that pulls left when you brake. When you turn the steering wheel, the car accelerates. And when you accelerate, the car turns right.

Would that be fun to drive? :eek: That's what interactive controls feel like, even on your guitar amp, though not as dangerous to life and limb as the interactive controls on the car.

People aren't all the same, though, so some seem to be fine with the Tweed tone control. Perhaps some people even like the Tweed tone control. After all, there are people who like kiviak, which is a dish consisting of decomposing fully-feathered, Little Auk (bird) carcasses complete with their poop-filled intestines, stored in a sewed-up seal skin until they ferment ( Kiviak - Wikipedia ). (This would seem to be playing Russian Roulette with death by botulism.)

-Gnobuddy

Attachments

• kiwiak.jpg
    kiwiak.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 112
I know you may have already ruled out the Tweed control, but in case you re-consider it, please be aware that the Tweed tone control is highly interactive with the volume control.

This means that the tone control behaves differently at every setting of the volume control. Turn the volume to maximum, and the tone control (treble boost) stops working altogether.

It works the other way too, i.e. turning the tone control will change the volume.

Imagine a car that pulls left when you brake. When you turn the steering wheel, the car accelerates. And when you accelerate, the car turns right.

Would that be fun to drive? :eek: That's what interactive controls feel like, even on your guitar amp, though not as dangerous to life and limb as the interactive controls on the car.

People aren't all the same, though, so some seem to be fine with the Tweed tone control. Perhaps some people even like the Tweed tone control. After all, there are people who like kiviak, which is a dish consisting of decomposing fully-feathered, Little Auk (bird) carcasses complete with their poop-filled intestines, stored in a sewed-up seal skin until they ferment ( Kiviak - Wikipedia ). (This would seem to be playing Russian Roulette with death by botulism.)

-Gnobuddy

Who doesn't like kiviak, haggish, hakarl and surstrømning?

Tweed appeals to me when you describe it like that :D
About to work on it now, so tweed first. I can always change it.

Over the years, I've read a few posts from people who built and liked some variation on what has come to be known as the "Big Muff tone control", even though the circuit actually pre-dates the Big Muff. The second link I posted shows an old Supro amp that uses it.

-Gnobuddy

I tried the tweed. Didn't end up liking it. I think I'll try the Big Muff.

But I might not. I stumbled across a Fender Champion 600, one of the new ones. It sounds so good. And it's even smaller, I might end up selling the other one.

I tried the tweed. Didn't end up liking it.
And how about the kiviak, did you like that? :D

Fender Champion 600, one of the new ones.
Does Fender have a new 2019 version, or are we talking about the once from 2007 or so?

I'm not sure if you're looking for an amp that is physically small, or one that is playable at very low volume. If it's the latter, consider the (solid state) Boss Katana 50. In the past I have never heard any solid-state electric guitar amp worth buying, but this one seems to be an enormous improvement on all the previous few decades of crappy-sounding digital modelling amps.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.