Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Guitar amp builds
Guitar amp builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2019, 03:14 PM   #1
knockbill is offline knockbill  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar amp builds

I ended up with some orphan OPTs, and don't have use for mono audio amps,, so decided to try to build a few gituar amp clones...

Couple of Champs, 5F1, 5C1,,, Rickenbacker B9A,,, Supro 1624...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8050005.JPG (481.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg P2020037.JPG (82.4 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg PA130039.JPG (472.8 KB, 200 views)
Old 16th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Enough of an excuse for me.

Pretty.
Old 16th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Supro and Rick chassis,, under construction...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9240004.JPG (477.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg PB200002.JPG (491.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 18th February 2019, 03:24 AM   #4
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockbill View Post
Couple of Champs, 5F1, 5C1,,, Rickenbacker B9A,,, Supro 1624...
Nice looking builds! I especially like the turquoise one (Supro?). It's about time we had some colour in guitar amps! (Why should Orange have all the fun?)

-Gnobuddy
Old 18th February 2019, 12:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks,,, Yep the blue Supro is real close to the stock color...
Old 18th February 2019, 12:33 PM   #6
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I did the same thing - built a Ampeg B15N amp out of parts (the original Ampeg B15N go for crazy money on ebay and reverb)...this is supposedly "The Amp" for Bass, but also a good guitar amp.

Looks like hell tho, but sounds quite nice. Next up is a 15 Watt Princeton Reverb.
Old 18th February 2019, 01:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yep,,, I helped a buddy rehab a 100 year old house,, got the pine boards for the cabs out of the attic,,, not even nailed down!!! liked the grain too much to put Tolex over it... Git amps are a good place to use single parts,,, Good winter projects also!
Building a Super Champ{6L6SE) type now,, that will fit into the 5F1 cab... Plywood black box is just to hold chassis/tubes in vertical position...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8210219.JPG (80.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg P8100208.JPG (79.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by knockbill; 18th February 2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 18th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #8
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice work there! Finished wood cabinets stand a better chance of "acceptability" by significant other when you want to show them off in the living room ;-) It's great you were able to re-purpose that wood, and covering with tolex wouldn't do it justice.
Old 18th February 2019, 04:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you,,, I like to work with "seasoned" wood,,, these Pine planks were 12" wide and very flat/stable... I've looked at wood in big box type stores, really no comparison...
Old 19th February 2019, 06:42 AM   #10
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockbill View Post
...100 year old ...pine planks..looked at wood in big box type stores, really no comparison...
It's quite shocking how much harder it is to find good wood today, than it was even a few decades ago.

You would think fast-growing pine would be the one wood you could still find easily in North America, but the timber industry doesn't want to wait around long enough for even a pine tree to grow to its full majestic size, so they seem to cut it most of it down as soon as it's big enough to get low quality 4" or 6" wide planks from it. Those arrive at the "big box shop" already cupped, bowed, and twisted, and the wood has so much moisture in it that it they continue to change shape for months more.

For the last ten years or so, I noticed from the guitar magazine and Internet ads that all the guitar makers have been playing musical chairs with their fretboard woods. Every year or so there is yet another change to yet another even less attractive wood (or synthetic in some cases) as yet another type of tree becomes endangered or is brought to the edge of extinction.

Brazilian rosewood is gone for good. Indian rosewood seems to be right on the threshold of also being gone for good. Ebony? The beautiful black stuff is gone, now you can pay through the nose for ugly streaky-brown ebony if you can find it. A stream of other names have appeared and disappeared from the catalogues, including nato, ovangkol, pau ferro, purple heart, cocobolo, bubinga, wenge, bloodwood.

With the difficulty sourcing any kind of decent fretboard wood, some guitars and basses now use ground-up McDonald's takeout boxes (Richlite). Others use ordinary wood that's been burned in an oven to make it darker - but also more brittle and easily damaged. The marketing department then tries to pretend that the charred stuff is actually an advance in materials.

This tragic game of musical chairs is still ongoing. I just noticed today that Fender has started to advertise fretboards made of what they call "Indian laurel" on some of their Squier models. This is some sort of fig tree, and from the photos I've seen of "Indian laurel" fretboards, it is not a very attractive-looking wood.

I note that, during the last five years or so, IKEA Canada seems to have dropped all - or at least most - of the solid-pine items that used to be in their catalogue. The replacement products are either made of bamboo shreds glued together with plastic, sawdust glued together with plastic, or very fine sawdust glued together with plastic.

The attached photo shows a 2x8 guitar cab I made a few years ago from an IKEA solid-pine item of children's furniture they called a RAST. This cab is about the size of a Princeton Reverb, but a little deeper. You could buy a RAST cheaper than you could buy the same amount of pine planking, and for those without access to a table-saw, the RAST gave you a starting point that was already straight and square.

Yup, you guessed it. No more RAST. It's gone, along with all the other solid-pine items.

Perhaps in a few more years we'll have guitars made of bamboo shreds glued together with plastic, too?

-Gnobuddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2049C_1000px.jpg (335.8 KB, 54 views)

Guitar amp buildsHide this!Advertise here!