Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

I am inspired by the Sony C800G really eager to learn how to make my own.
I am inspired by the Sony C800G really eager to learn how to make my own.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2019, 07:59 AM   #1
deadrecords is offline deadrecords
diyAudio Member

Default I am inspired by the Sony C800G really eager to learn how to make my own.

hello,

I am inspired by the Sony C800G and using it convinced me that I REALLY want to start my journey on learning how to make a my own mic and transformers and power supply that is grade a like the sony c800g. I have been mixing for a while and I am currently 21. I normally use a u87 and Manley although the manley sounds similar to the Sony it’s just not the same. I am spoiled after traveling to la and finally getting to use one in a session myself. I don’t have the money to buy a legit original one. I have also never built a microphone but I am eager to learn. Do any of you have any recommendations on how I can learn how to build a clone of the Sony C800G? Or a link to a kit of some sort? I know the Russian tubes sound better on it and it replicates a k87 capsule. Anyways, if any of you can point me to the right direction on how I can achieve my goal and learn to do this please respond!!
Old 21st February 2019, 09:22 AM   #2
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

OMG!! A $10,000 microphone!!
Old 21st February 2019, 09:31 AM   #3
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

You canīt build just *one* and parts are custom made by/for Sony, you donīt have access to them over the counter, so Plan B is to :

1) buy the real thing, full price
or
2) buy a used one, half price
or
3) wait until the Chinese clone it and offer "90% of the sound for 10% of the price"

Such a precision device is way beyond the reach of any Home Builder and even most Commercial ones, go figure.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:52 AM   #4
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Try searching groupdiy.com forum. If there is a kit somewhere its found there. At least thats The forum for repairing and building pro audio electronics including mics.

Last edited by tmuikku; 21st February 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 21st February 2019, 01:00 PM   #5
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Try searching groupdiy.com forum. If there is a kit somewhere its found there. At least thats The forum for repairing and building pro audio electronics including mics.
Thanks for the tip! I need to replace the DD floppy SCSI disk drive on a sampler keyboard with something modern like a thumb drive, and that seems a little off topic for diyaudio.com. However helpful you all have been here.
I have to say to the OP, I buy speakers & mikes used. it is too easy to get those wrong. Lots of *****y mikes are out there. The Panasonic capsule with homebuild electronics is the only common diyaudio trick.

Last edited by indianajo; 21st February 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 1st March 2019, 07:57 PM   #6
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OMG!! A $10,000 microphone!!
Yeah bit pricey..and I used to work for Bruel & Kjaer and those mics were pricey.

If the OP wanted to go down that path, I would suggest getting a decent large capsule mic and DIY a preamp. If the OP is brand new at this, I would not suggest building a tube based preamp. FET based or op-amp based would be the safer way to go. RODE mics imho are very good value and performance. I have recorded acoustic guitar with them and was very impressed given it's price point. Rode NTK is below a thousand dollars, large diaphragm, with 6922 tube and includes external power supply..what's not to like about that?

I am inspired by the Sony C800G really eager to learn how to make my own.Hide this!Advertise here!