3-pin power connector choice for 0V/ +15V/ -15V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used the type of connectors JMF is talking about. I used repurposed PC connectors, the 4 pin type for 3.5" drives and the 2 pin type for miscellaneous MB connections to make a fully removable accessory harness for one of my old cars. It worked OK, never had intermittent connections, etc.

Nowadays I don't do that, I just source new connectors from ebay. You can buy just about any type you can imagine if you're OK with that.

I have used the type of connectors JMF is talking about.
I have used similar connectors (with 0.1" pitch) for internal board-to-board connections, and to add cell-balancing connectors to my home-brewed LiFePO4 packs.

I've never used them for external wires coming into a sealed housing, though. They seem clumsy and ugly for that use.

I keep thinking that plain-Jane USB connectors have most of the qualities I need. Board-mount jacks and cables are easily available, cheap, compact, don't short-out on insertion, are designed to survive multiple insertion/removals, have 4 wires, and will carry more current than I need.

The one really bad thing about them is the fact that they are everywhere, and people expect them to safely plug into each other. I would badly violate that if I put +/- 15 volts on two of the wires. :(

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.