Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Full plate voltage 12ax7 preamp to Class D?
Full plate voltage 12ax7 preamp to Class D?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2019, 05:42 PM   #31
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
I have my doubts about that.
-Gnobuddy

I am quite sure this is what he meant. We were talking about cleans in the preamp section and there was little to misunderstand. He had a cult following for attaining this and from accounts Ampeg was one to cultivate the clean sound.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:59 PM   #32
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
I am quite sure this is what he meant.
I believe you, but I don't think he was right. No disrespect intended to anyone. There is so much myth out there when it comes to tube guitar amps, it is hard to know what is true and what is not.

Why not try it on your breadboard and decide for yourself? Use first a half-12AX7, then a small-signal pentode ahead of the cathodyne (or source-o-dyne) PI. Listen to it, 'scope it, and see what your ears and oscilloscope say!

-Gnobuddy
Old 13th February 2019, 07:31 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I believe you, but I don't think he was right. No disrespect intended to anyone. There is so much myth out there when it comes to tube guitar amps, it is hard to know what is true and what is not.

Why not try it on your breadboard and decide for yourself? Use first a half-12AX7, then a small-signal pentode ahead of the cathodyne (or source-o-dyne) PI. Listen to it, 'scope it, and see what your ears and oscilloscope say!

-Gnobuddy

Don't have time to play with it.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:41 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:

-Gnobuddy

Oops, did something wrong.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:46 PM   #35
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Don't have time to play with it.
Sorry to hear that. Hope they're paying you well, at least!

Thanks for the discussion!

-Gnobuddy
Old 14th February 2019, 12:42 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Hope they're paying you well, at least!

Thanks for the discussion!

-Gnobuddy

I wish.

Full plate voltage 12ax7 preamp to Class D?Hide this!Advertise here!