Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Problems with Envelope Follower Filter Section
Problems with Envelope Follower Filter Section
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2019, 04:45 PM   #1
SlunkBoy is offline SlunkBoy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Problems with Envelope Follower Filter Section

I am playing around with building an envelope filter/follower/auto-wah for bass guitar and have run into some issues with the filter section.

The follower section comprised of a peak detector illuminating two LEDs responds beautifully to my playing intensity with a nice, gradual taper. The LEDs were subsequently paired with LDRs and encapsulated with heat shrink tubing to form opto-isolator units.

I am being somewhat stubborn in avoiding the traditional state-variable filter section common to Mutron and Q-Tron commercial units, instead trying to implement Sallen-Key low or high-pass filters (as I am more familiar with these from building active crossovers).

The opto-isolators are paired with sensible resistor values to pad their values down to hundreds of kOhms (from their muliti-mOhm dark resistances). I can't seem to get a moving filter response from either low or high-pass arrangements with broad changes to capacitor values. The low-pass circuit sounds more like an all-pass circuit, whereas the high-pass is thinner and distorted (I can't account for the distortion). I know regular wah pedals typically use band-pass circuits for their vowel sounds, but devices like the Mutron III have separate low and high-pass settings that sound preferable to my ears.

Is the Sallen-Key topology totally unsuited to this task? Should I just shrug and build a state-variable filter like everyone else? Am I missing something?
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:31 AM   #2
OrbitalLex is offline OrbitalLex  United States
diyAudio Member

Is phase correct? Using non-inverting op-amps?
Old 4th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #3
SlunkBoy is offline SlunkBoy  United States
diyAudio Member

The phase is correct and I am only aware of non-inverting Sallen-Key configurations.

I went ahead and prototyped a state variable filter and it just worked. I was trying to save a couple of op-amps for simplicity, but it does offer some worthwhile flexibility.

I suspect that the Sallen-Key filter is "working", but that the lack of resonance is making it too subtle to be noticeable for this application.

\_(ツ)_/

Problems with Envelope Follower Filter SectionHide this!Advertise here!