Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Heater voltage too low
Heater voltage too low
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2019, 01:25 PM   #1
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

Default Heater voltage too low

Hi, I have a 5F6A clone whit a heater voltage too low. PT is a Hammond 290DEX wich has a primary winding 240VAC and heater 6.7VAC nominal voltage unloaded.

In my house wall voltage is a range of 205-220 VAC and I measured 6.2 VAC heater voltage at PT wires. When I connect heater wires to tube sockets I measured 5 VAC heater voltage. I think this volage drop is too much considering that all tubes absorb about 2.7A and PT secondary heater has 4A
Old 12th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

What is the 5V winding putting out?
Old 12th January 2019, 02:28 PM   #3
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

In this moment, with 220V wall voltage, it is 4.8V unloaded. Heater voltage is 6.2V unloaded and 5.6V loaded. Anyway I do not use 5V out because I use solid state rectifier instead tube rectifier.

It is 4.8V unloaded
Old 12th January 2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can get a supply of 5V6GT and run them on the 6V, put the 6 and 5V in series, rectify and filter for the 12A*7 tubes. Just took a quick peek in EBay in Europe and not a bad deal for NOS tubes, I would buy all I think I could use.

5 x 5V6GT WESTINGHOUSE TUBE ELECTRONIQUE | eBay
Old 12th January 2019, 03:55 PM   #5
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I'm afraid I did not understand.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:29 PM   #6
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

Default 5F6A 50Hz Hum?

Hi, can you help me to identify this hum? It is very annoying and it is not affected by controls.

YouTube
Old 12th January 2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Running at a reduced primary voltage reduces the power in the secondary. This not only reduces the secondary voltage, but also the secondary current.

Whether the reduced power you are getting in the heater secondary is consistent with a drop in primary voltage of 20V remains the question!

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/290DEX.pdf
Old 12th January 2019, 04:40 PM   #8
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Heater voltage too low
@vinceg - please don’t start multiple threads for the same project, your threads have been merged.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:06 PM   #9
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
@vinceg - please donít start multiple threads for the same project, your threads have been merged.

Sorry
Old 12th January 2019, 05:16 PM   #10
vinceg is offline vinceg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Running at a reduced primary voltage reduces the power in the secondary. This not only reduces the secondary voltage, but also the secondary current.

Whether the reduced power you are getting in the heater secondary is consistent with a drop in primary voltage of 20V remains the question!

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/290DEX.pdf

Ok, this is. I calculated same percentage value between reduced primary voltage and unloaded secondary voltage.
But how much should the heater voltage drop be? (unloaded vs loaded)

Heater voltage too lowHide this!Advertise here!