Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Vox Pathfinder 10 mods
Vox Pathfinder 10 mods
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2019, 11:39 PM   #11
22uf is offline 22uf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Vox Pathfinder 10 mods

t on them.... you can buy a dented 2001 Vette for less time trouble and cash. Same in amplifiers.[/QUOTE]

I’m more after this vibe.
YouTube
Old 6th January 2019, 08:30 PM   #12
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Leave Pathfinder as-is and build a *guitar* powered cabinet, you´ll need:

* 1 power amp module. An LM1875 will add 20/25W RMS ; a TDA7294 or LM3886, from 60 to 80W RMS

* 1 Guitar speaker (Jensen Mod are excellent and very reasonable price) . Must match or surpass power amp rating.

* buy/build/beg/modify a cabinet to mount everything.
From unpainted chipboard to modified IKEA flowerpot to hole-cut-in-luggage to dead amp cabinet to custom build oiled walnut (whatever carpenter GrandPa can lovingly build )

Then you drive it from your little Vox ... same sound and distortion but at smashing loud output ... and way fatter.

Click the image to open in full size.

this one is battery powered:

nothing new under the Sun, this is how *old* Gibson amoplifiers (think 1940s) used to be built:

Old 8th January 2019, 09:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Vox pathfinder R8 mod headroom issue?

Yesterday day I performed the led and the R8 mod on my pathfinder. I am happy with the sound but I think maybe the R8 mod has lost some headroom? It might not have, but if (on the clean channel) I have the volume set to 3 o’clock and the gain at 12 o’clock, there is a fair amount of overdrive, I think it is mainly coming from the power amp as when the volume is lower it doesn’t distort. What ways could I increase headroom? Would stacking the op amp work?
Old 9th January 2019, 04:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Any ideas?
Old 11th January 2019, 03:52 AM   #15
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22uf View Post
Any ideas?
You've already said it: instead of clipping in the LEDs you're now clipping an OP amp, which (usually) sounds worse, hence "less headroom".

Not sure where R8 is: the schematic posted earlier is postage stamp sized on the useragent-du-jour.

I've got a 15R which is going to get a center-off DPDT for the LEDs: one position they'll be in; center position will be no limiter; and position three will be an asymmetric and (initially) soft limiter. Still messing around with values.

While it's apart I'll also add the boost bypass pot,

Last edited by thoglette; 11th January 2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:56 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

No, I’m talking about the clean channel - the leds where never used anyway. I’ll upload another schematic later.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:34 PM   #17
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's all relative, if you modify R8 to increase the overall preamp gain at that stage then of course it will distort at an earlier gain pot setting.. in this case 12 o'clock There is the tone stack and then another op amp stage where it (and possibly the TDA) are starting to distort. So you may need to play around with a value of R8 that will start distorting at high gain pot setting. Possibly ending up where you have close to the original value. Stacking op amps won't help if that is what you refer to. More output watts means either a BTL power amp or just build a bigger power amp with bigger power supply) like many suggested and keep the preamp as original.

Vox Pathfinder 10 modsHide this!Advertise here!