Move over Fender and Marshall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> The small amps are big fun IMO

+ 1 ^ 3

With the higher input Z there is so much more highs
that I need to re-adjust the tonestack ..... ; )

Attachments

• 2018-12-21-174405.jpg
    2018-12-21-174405.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 197
The small amps are big fun IMO
I recently breadboarded a quarter-watt, all valve, guitar amp. Connected to the stock speaker in my Fender guitar amp, it's too loud to overdrive in my apartment without worrying that I might be annoying the neighbours. :eek:

Guitar speakers are very efficient - it takes only a few tens of milliwatts to get loud by any reasonable standards. Approximately 30 milliwatts will get you 85 dB SPL at 1 metre using a 100 dB @ 1W @1m guitar speaker. 85 dB is loud enough to start damaging your hearing over time, despite what OSHA says.

-Gnobuddy

Having fun with Ruby

With 9 V actually not that much more power ...... But that seems enough for my studio .
BUT ........... It can be powered up with a heftier wart .
I'm loving the Ruby driving a crappy 8" PA speaker plus teleclone with 4-way mod and out-of-phase pickups: sort of psycobilly grind (think
waltons
or similar). And I'm pretty sure much of the fun is from the wall wart supply sagging - the bright green LED on mine dims substantially. I should try it with my 3A lab power supply but I'm having far too much fun.

I'm loving the Ruby driving...
Sounds great. That 8 inch isnt crappy for guitar. Is it you playing? Cheers!
No, not me. :) Pretty sure I've been on the same playbill as them. But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :p

The Ruby I've got is making a similar slightly grungy, lo-fi, hick-billy tone. Not the same but in the same ball park. At much, much lower volumes.

It's nowhere as aggressive as a Marshall tone, nor is it solid state fuzzzzz.

Do you think the input ( jfet ) buffer makes that much
of a differance with that type presentation ?
I think it's a mix of the FET front end followed by a power-amp with collapsing rails. Plus a truly crappy speaker set up (nothing under 150hz, nothing over 4khz, plenty of cardboard box flapping).

No tone control, so gotta rely on the axe set up to take out most of the bass to avoid pharting. My chino-line is set up with a Bill Lawrence 5-way switch and phase reverse switch (push/pull on volume). It's a pretty flexible setup while still looking like a "stock" tele.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.