Clipping Characteristics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Vox AC10c1 on the bench and was surprised that the amp's clipping waveform looked terrible. I would think that a small wattage amp would be designed to drive into saturation so I don't know if this is normal for this amp or there is an underlying issue.

The tubes test strong. To me, it looks like some sort of frequency doubling, possibly in the long tailed pair phase inverter?

Here is a picture and a link to the service manual: http://dealers.korgusa.com/svcfiles/AC10C1_SManual.pdf

Attachments

• P1010444.JPG
    P1010444.JPG
    925.1 KB · Views: 125
Where are you seeing the quasi square wave. Loudspeaker end or valve grids?
It looks like the power is getting dragged down as the output stage draws current or the output transformer is saturating.
Probably exactly what the musician wants, sound wise.

This is the loudspeaker end. It was late and I didn't start looking at the output tube grids coming from phase inverter. Or it could even be the phase inverter itself being over driven. The waveform gets even uglier when you turn the master volume down.

I could be wrong, but I would think if it was the output transformer saturating it would do it on both peaks no? It seems to me half the waveform is messed up which is what is leading me to the phase inverter.

The amp sounds horrible when turned up is the complaint from the customer so it is not what the musician wants sound wise. I haven't plugged a git-fiddle in yet but when I was doing my normal bench testing I check output power and since it's a guitar amp I check what it does when overdriven, which this looked ugly, and from experience should sound ugly too.

I don't see too many of these little Vox amps, actually I can't remember if I have ever had one on my bench so I have no reference to what they should sound like or perform. I am hoping someone can chime in with some experience with them and either say it's just a design flaw inherent in these amps or something else is wrong.

Till then, I'll keep poking around and see if I can make it better that way there is some technical reference to these on the internet and if someone else wants to make these amps sound better they'll know how to do it.

On a side note, the owner said it has always sounded like that since he has owned it and he kind of though it was the speaker or something he could upgrade. It's certainly not the speaker, this was taken on a non inductive resistive load.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....the amp's clipping waveform looked terrible.....

All your fans watching you on their 'scopes will be revolted.

Or not? How does it SOUND when flogged brutally?

The LTP "can" be scaled not to grossly overdrive the outputs. Here it looks like 35V peak up-swing on 11V power grids- it DOES exceed gross overdrive.

I suspect it adds a small extra harmonic excitement at the extreme.

If it isn't nice, don't play that hard.

If you want more Fender 6L6 like tones, increase the 2K dropper to the LTP, feed much less local B+. May have to go to 100V to get "polite" clipping.

That´s a beautiful tubey clipping waveform , it cuts through the onstage noise mess like a hot knife through butter.

Maybe your customer should consider a nice polished SS amplifier instead.

Or apply negative feedback, which will tame that a lot ... of course it will not be a VOX any more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.