Bell & Howell 110V mains T - 240V options?

I have a Bell & howell cine amp, probably 601. I'm in the UK and this was built for the UK. I don't have the external 240->110V power supply. Is there a neat option for replacing the mains transformer?
Anyone done it and found something that fits the bill? Or other neat solution?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If it is a 179, then it is a "Fender DeLuxe" for any practical purpose, and can use that replacement transformer.

However, why not use a 240V:120V 100Watt voltage transformer?

The amplifier will work (if it is actually healthy) and probably fine.

The movie-motor would be 50/60Hz specific; but you may not care? {EDIT} actually the motor has a governor and does not care what frequency it eats.

I'm planning on making a "Fender Deluxe" head from it, so would prefer not to have an external transformer - but I'll look at the options there if there is something suitably neat.
I don't have the motor section so not worried about that.
I'll have a look round for a suitable mains transformer as well to see if something will slot in neatly and do the job.
Thanks for the schematic link and details of what I'm looking for.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can't complain about Hammond quality. If that prices is good in your currency, it's a good choice.

I can get no-name "Mojo" iron somewhat cheaper (I think distributed by the ElectroHarmonix mega-corp), which is also fine stuff, if maybe not as "forever" as Hammond.

Of course study the specs for voltage, current, and size/fit before you order.

Australian guitar forum (they may know your market better): Aussie Guitar Gear Heads - Index

I think you are subtly pointing out that I might have threadjacked a little... :eek: I apologise to the OP for that. Here are a couple of options for that Hammond Tx that I am looking at:

76GBP 290BEX | Hammond Manufacturing | Hammond Manufacturing 290BEX | Enrgtech
81GBP 290BEX Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser United Kingdom
96 GBP 290BEX by HAMMOND MANUFACTURING - Buy or Repair at Radwell

I have just landed myself a 601 as well so I'll probably open a build thread later down the track.

Again, apologies to the OP but hope the info was helpful anyway, and I'd love to hear more about your build!

Last edited:
For info, the specs of that transformer are:

Primary 240V @ 165mA
Secondary:
660Vct @ 138mA
6.3v @ 3A
5v @ 3A

==========
Heater currents:
6V6GT = 450mA
6SL7GT = 300mA
6J7 (or 6SJ7) = 300mA

5Y3GT = 2A
==========

So it seems it should be fine running a push-pull 6V6 pair with 6SL7GT and 6J7 (Or 6SJ7) preamp.

How did you go?

HI guys,

How did you get on with this? I'm in Sydney and have a 601 coming and a 621 sitting there waiting.... On my 621, the length between bolts is 3 1/4 inch not 3 1/8. Yours? Also interested in what you're attempting with the conversion. I'm going to mod the stock circuit before I consider gutting and repurposing.

Cheers