Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Pipe organ
Pipe organ
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2018, 05:23 AM   #1
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pipe organ

It was my sons wedding today at a pretty old church in Birmingham Alabama built in 1889 or 1898
They have a pipe organ there, that was made in the year 2000 and it took them two years to make it and then fly it in from
France. This thing has 11,000 pipe. Yes I said 11k of pipes. And the sound it WOW
Here’s a few pics I was able to get before I got Caught lol. I have some more so when I get home I will post them
IMG_2578.jpgIMG_2582.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2617.jpgIMG_2580.jpg
Old 18th November 2018, 10:10 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I lived and studied in two Catholic boarding schools in Germany and here in Portugal and I was ever fascinated when the organist played Bachs Toccata and Fugue …
I remember going at young age and at that time to a "new modern church" in Neviges Germany and I think it was the best speaker I've heard in my life. The sound reverberating was something Glorious...
Old 18th November 2018, 11:15 PM   #3
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

I am familiar with "romantic" voiced organs refered to as "French." The sides on the mouth of the pipes make it have fewer harmonics than a "baroque" version.

I can't quite make out the denomination of the church my guess would be Episcopalian. Not a denomination I would expect to have a large congregation in Alabama.

I do prefer the romantic voicing on pipe organs. A bit rare around here.

The size would probably place it among the ten largest working organs.
Old 19th November 2018, 01:13 AM   #4
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Pipe organ
It can't be 11k pipes. Looks like this one BirminghamAGO POE - Stoplists . 82 stops, not all of which are real (some digital). Albert hall with 10k pipes is 147 stops.
Old 19th November 2018, 01:40 AM   #5
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Pipe organ
Birmingham is the Pittsburgh of the South, a town which was hardly in existence at the time of our Civil War -- not until they found large deposits of iron ore and coking coal. The Sloss Furnaces were the largest pig iron foundry in the world at one time.

We were at a wedding there a month ago. The wedding was at a small Episcopal Church and the reception up on the mountain. It's a remarkable city.
Old 19th November 2018, 05:55 AM   #6
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

I am going off the information that the organists told me. I believe the largest pipe is 8” in diameter
She was there to over see the install and has been there for many many year and when she plays. The sound can be so soft or it can knock you off your feet. Lol
IMG_2618.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_2621.jpg
Old 21st November 2018, 04:12 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think we still have a couple churches with pipes in this area. Problem in winter for smaller churches is heat. Small churches often turn off the heat all week and only heat on SUndays. COld pipes go out of tune.

We used to have a pizza joint with a huge pipe organ installation. Tin Lizzie maybe? Much was behind glass, near the entrance was a 750 horsepower motor running the blower. You could watch a big row of tremulant bellows hopping up and down. Big clear plastic flaps for swell, in front of the rows of pipes. Along the rear of the room were rows of brass instruments. And even odd percussion things like jingle bells. Big sign identified it as "The Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ". Oh, and the console was hidden below the floor, and for performances, the organist on his keyboard rose up through the floor to entertain.

Pipe organs are fascinating. And yes indeed they can shatter your chest with sound.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:46 AM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Pipe organ
Also in Birmingham is the Alabama theater - a lovely old movie palace that has an impressive pipe organ. Well worth a listen if you ever get the chance.
Old 24th November 2018, 04:24 AM   #9
Gnobuddy is online now Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
...pipe organ...And the sound of it WOW...
Maybe a decade ago, my wife and I were in Balboa Park, San Diego. We'd just come out of an art gallery into an open central area of the park when this astonishing music began to fill the air. The sound came from everywhere at once, with a power and spaciousness I had never encountered before. It was absolutely amazing!

I didn't know it at the time, but this is what we had been listening to: Spreckels Organ Pavilion | Balboa Park

I cannot say that classical organ music is dear to my soul, but I can certainly say that listening to the sounds that organ made are among the most astonishing sensory experiences I've had in my life. Wow.

-Gnobuddy
Old 24th November 2018, 01:17 PM   #10
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Pipe organ
Anyone been to Macy's in Philadelphia to hear the big Wanamaker Organ?

Pipe organHide this!Advertise here!