Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Tantalum capacitor's sound
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2021, 02:47 PM   #31
Retsel is offline Retsel  United States
diyAudio Member

I do not deny that expectation denial exists, in fact I am sure that it does. Then in the same way, you must admit that "categorical denial bias" exists as well. We are all human afterall.....

Here is the Jung article which measures capacitor distortion:

Picking Capacitors - Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh

I would think that if one can measure differences between capacitors, then it should lead one to think that these differences could make a circuit sound different - at least most would likely reach that conclusion.

Retsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bean View Post
You might want explore the term "expectation bias."

Mike
Old 21st September 2021, 03:18 PM   #32
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I tend to have preferences for using certain types of capacitors for specific jobs in circuits, and sometimes that may be just coming down to familiarity, availability and performance. For audio (low voltage) interstage and filtering I generally use MKT metalized polyester film, as they are compact form (5mm lead spacing) reasonable cost, and a nice solid shell that sits well on the PCB. I have used probably hundreds, and haven't had a "bad" one (out of tolerance, mechanical damage, or failure after continuous use). For vacuum tube stuff I like orange drop capacitors, silver mica for lower capacitance values. They are proven for over 60 years..I have worked on tube amps from early seventies, and those parts still tested good!
Old 21st September 2021, 03:22 PM   #33
Zeta4 is offline Zeta4  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I remember when I was fiddling around with Naim pre amps back in the 70's I thought that the tant capacitors used in them (and they used lots ) were microphonic. Tapping them with a pencil would produce thuds from the speakers. I tried replacing them with Philips solid aluminium ones and I thought the sound improved but customers said "Its not the Naim sound anymore". You cant win.
Old 21st September 2021, 03:33 PM   #34
Michael Bean is offline Michael Bean  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsel View Post
I do not deny that expectation denial exists, in fact I am sure that it does. Then in the same way, you must admit that "categorical denial bias" exists as well. We are all human afterall.....

Here is the Jung article which measures capacitor distortion:

Picking Capacitors - Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh

I would think that if one can measure differences between capacitors, then it should lead one to think that these differences could make a circuit sound different - at least most would likely reach that conclusion.

Retsel
Where caps are used in circuits as filter components the construction and materials can be a source of distortion if not properly utilized. Caps used for interstage coupling are a different matter. As long as the resulting Fc of the coupling components is much lower than any signal of interest, even good quality bipolar electros are entirely suitable to the task.

Mike
Old 21st September 2021, 03:55 PM   #35
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had some old blue drop Tantalum caps that I threw out and later regretted as in my TGM3 amplifier I used one on the input to great satisfaction.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st September 2021, 06:41 PM   #36
egellings is offline egellings  United States
diyAudio Member

In the guitar amp, the speaker(s) and the cabinet are major contributors to the sound quality.
Old 22nd September 2021, 05:16 AM   #37
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Yes, some 1000 times more than any silly capacitor dielectric difference.

Amd even this is an understatement.
Old 25th September 2021, 08:21 AM   #38
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta4 View Post
Tapping them with a pencil would produce thuds from the speakers. I tried replacing them with Philips solid aluminium ones and I thought the sound improved but customers said "Its not the Naim sound anymore". You cant win.

Did you make the mistake of telling the customers you'd changed the caps? Leave them blind to the change and they wouldn't have complained I bet!
Old 25th September 2021, 08:48 AM   #39
Zeta4 is offline Zeta4  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As far as I can remember, yes some customers knew about the change but
when I took my modified stuff around to a few Naim dealers they didnt know
what I had done. I generally got the same response.

I could see the microphonic effect on the scope but in those days I didnt have the equipment to measure much else.
Old 25th September 2021, 09:09 AM   #40
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta4 View Post
I tried replacing them with Philips solid aluminium ones
Now that were very good caps! I bought a large stock of these and still use them. Excellent caps but then too expensive to be able to compete. Being nearly bipolar was one of the benefits just like no aging of electrolyte.

Last edited by jean-paul; 25th September 2021 at 09:11 AM.

Tantalum capacitor's soundHide this!Advertise here!