TAA 611 B12 Guitar amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That IC is a little 2 watt into 8 ohm power amp IC. No reason you couldn't use it in a small low power guitar amp. You'd need some sort of preamp circuit.
thats great to know, thanks.
I'm looking to build the amp out of parts I can find in old electronics. I want to buy as little as possible for it, that's why I am trying it with this specific chip.

do you know of a specific preamp setup that would work, or will any one do ?
(sorry im new to all this :worship:)

Hi guys, I am trying to build my own guitar amp, i am taking a complete shot in the dark:confused:. Will a TAA 611 B12 chip work ? if so, can anyone please send me in some sort of direction with this ?
WHERE did you find one? :eek:

It sure brings back memories !!!!

AFAIK it was the *first* full self contained "Chipamp" available :eek: , WAY back then (early 70´s) and I remember using it as a prank: I installed one inside a very cheesy Bass Guitar, together with a 9V battery, and claimed that Bass Guitar had such a powerful Pickup that it could straight drive a speaker cabinet ... without an amplifier that is :eek:

Took bets which I always won, since plugging it into any speaker produced quite usable sound :p

Again from memory: you don´t really need a preamp, I remember building the datasheet application and driving it straight from Bass pickup.

1W RMS from a 9V supply, I wouldn´t try any higher for safety.

That said, a modern LM386 costs less than a buck, so ..... I´d consider the Ruby suggested above or even a "Smokey" type amp ... just an LM386 and 2 capacitors :eek:

PS: I used the round metal can type.

WHERE did you find one? :eek:

It sure brings back memories !!!!

AFAIK it was the *first* full self contained "Chipamp" available :eek: , WAY back then (early 70´s) and I remember using it as a prank: I installed one inside a very cheesy Bass Guitar, together with a 9V battery, and claimed that Bass Guitar had such a powerful Pickup that it could straight drive a speaker cabinet ... without an amplifier that is :eek:

Took bets which I always won, since plugging it into any speaker produced quite usable sound :p

Again from memory: you don´t really need a preamp, I remember building the datasheet application and driving it straight from Bass pickup.

1W RMS from a 9V supply, I wouldn´t try any higher for safety.

That said, a modern LM386 costs less than a buck, so ..... I´d consider the Ruby suggested above or even a "Smokey" type amp ... just an LM386 and 2 capacitors :eek:

PS: I used the round metal can type.

Hi JMFahey, I found it in an old Barlow Wadley Radio that i got at a garage sale. Do you perhaps still remember how you made yours work ? I know i can always buy a pre setup LM386 board, but im keeping that as a fall back plan, got to keep life interesting with a bit of a challenge, you now.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi JMFahey, I found it in an old Barlow Wadley Radio that i got at a garage sale. Do you perhaps still remember how you made yours work ? I know i can always buy a pre setup LM386 board, but im keeping that as a fall back plan, got to keep life interesting with a bit of a challenge, you now.
No big deal, I followed exactly the datasheet suggested example :D

For a single unit, it won´t compensate to custom design a PCB, draw and etch it, etc. , plus troubleshooting it, knowing you will never use that PCB design again, so build it on perfboard and just use it as you wish.

The Barlow Wadley XCR-30 is a VERY interesting radio and should not be cut-up without further research. One is eBay listed now for $550.
https://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~tel00101/FotoAlbum/RadioCorner/Articles/Barlow30.htm

It is trivial to turn a radio (NOT hot-chassis!!) into an amplifier. Cut the wire to the top of the Volume control. Feed your signal here and the bottom of the Vol pot.

it was quite a fascinating radio to look through. Normaly i wouldnt have cut it up, but i found it in non working order for about equivalent to 1.5 dollars. it had some water damage and years of abuse, so i was not about to lass up the opportunity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.