Jet City JCA 22H OT replacement and minor mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn´t worry about 3mA difference.
Any decent transformer must take that and more, say at least 5mA difference, wouldn´t be surprised at them standing 10mA.

"In the old days" , I guess amp manufacturers matched tubes, but not so sure about that, I bet workers just pulled needed tubes from the proper shelf in the warehouse and installed them as-is ; then if amp worked as expected , fine.

I see NO tube matching or even current measuring notes at all in any old Fender/Marshall/VOX schematic.

Fender just spec´d "-52V" for 6L6, Marshall/Hiwatt and others "-38V to -40V" for EL34 ... period.

Smaller tube amps were often self/cathode biased so that tends to self-adjust.

Of course tubes were more consistent but mainly: bought in large batches from same manufacturer, so ...

As of "Joe Public", he just bought random tubes from his friendly "Radio and TV Shop" and plugged them in.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'd rather be worried about the vendor's carefulness in matching tubes :eek:. It appears that they measure and match at only one operating Point - or they don't match at all and just charge their customers.
Best regards!

Actually I am pretty upset with Tube Depot. I got all new tubes for the head, 2 Tung sol 12ax7 for first two tubes in the preamp as I remember I used to like them before, 3 rest are JJ and 2x JJ el84. I already commented on matching of el84, but what is most upsetting that it looks one of the tung sol tubes is bad. I had this fizz and weird foreign sounds coming of the amp and I've checked everything. So neighbor of mine had two old tung sol in his closed. I swapped mine pair and weird sounds went away. I swapped JJ into same place and sound I good again (more gain and compression with JJ, but with no fizz or foreign sounds). I guess not buying from them anymore...

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just to bring up to this discussion (monologue mostly, but whatever hehe). I finished with my amp. Re-did some chassis wiring as it was a bit messy, changed poly caps to Wima(most I end up having in my stash), brought all values in the preamp section to the ones in SLO and added some switches from SLO schematics.
Amp sounded great! Next I what I did I increased those caps in PSU filtering. First 47uF —> 150uF and two 22uF —> 47uF. The result was controversial I must say. The bottom end and overall sound became more tight, even. I absolutely love it on hi-gain settings, so great. However, in lower gain/crunch-clean sound amp lost some of the dynamic range and that tube character to react to how hard you pick. I does lack some of the sponginess on crunch channel now. Do you think it is possible to have both? :) what if I change values of those 47uf back to 22? Or anything else?
IMG_0235.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.