Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Strong distortion tube line driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2018, 09:59 PM   #11
djgibson51 is offline djgibson51  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the schematic Printer2

Mario - my 2 cents worth of options;

1. For Harder distortion within the amp I would try silicon diodes (anti parallel) between the junction of R8 and R9/C11. (Marshall has been known to do this even in their tube amps - see the Slash signature)

2. This is also where I would graft in a 6N23P if that is what you want to try - a lot of work, results not guaranteed, but diy fun.

3. As Thoglette suggested, a real McTube or Butler tubedriver type circuit up front.

Have fun.
Old 25th October 2018, 11:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Just looked up the Thunderbird - lots of good ideas thanks thoglette.
I have a broken Boss metal zone coming in the post as a project/donor - may be some Thunderbird ideas will get grafted in. More diy fun...

Last edited by djgibson51; 25th October 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 26th October 2018, 03:01 AM   #13
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Pankov View Post
... total novice, bought my first guitar....
Do you want to play the amplifier? Or play the guitar?

You can make a LOT of GREAT music with that amp.

If you want to emulate your particular Guitar God, the amp is a small part of the sound.
Old 28th October 2018, 08:30 PM   #14
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Do you want to play the amplifier? Or play the guitar?
This is a very real problem to consider. One has only so many precious hours of free time, so where should one spend it?

For myself, my answer is to try to spend it on whatever will give me the most happiness. Sometimes that means spending time with my wife, sometimes practising or playing guitar, sometimes building or designing electronics, sometimes going for a walk, reading a book, or entertaining the cat with a piece of string.

So you have a conundrum to ponder: is learning to play guitar is a higher priority for you than tinkering with an already good-enough guitar amp?

I keep one quick-n-dirty DIY solid-state guitar amp by the living room couch, ready for use at a moments notice. It's little more than a cheap class-D power amp module, a couple of thift-store boombox speakers glued together, and a guitar pedal or two to act as a preamp.

It is not a great guitar amp, but it does work, and I find I pick up my guitar and play or practise a lot more often since I built it, because this amp is always ready and waiting.

Meantime, I have a tonne of tube amp ideas, as well as a working (but unfinished) DIY tube guitar amp, plus bits and pieces I built towards another DIY tube guitar amp build. I don't see any of those as a waste of time, but neither are they furthering my development as a guitarist much...it is the cheap and nasty solid-state amp that is my constant practise companion.

-Gnobuddy
Old 28th October 2018, 08:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ditto all of Gnobuddy's points. Especially wife and quickly accessible practice amp.
Old 31st October 2018, 07:32 AM   #16
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

Ok, can you, please, all the experts on play, step away and leave the discussion technical? We have a schematic and I want to increase the level and heaviness of distortion, end of quierry.
Old 1st November 2018, 01:23 AM   #17
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, can you, please, all the experts on play, step away and leave the discussion technical? We have a schematic and I want to increase the level and heaviness of distortion, end of quierry.
You still haven't told us what amplifiers you consider "heavy".

(I presume you've got a guitar with dual or triple humbuckers?)

And I stand behind my previous recommendations (See post #8)

Meanwhile,
a) Replace LED 4 with a small signal schotkey
b) Replace R39 and C21 with the 1N5711/1N4148 and resistor network from the Thunderbird
Old 1st November 2018, 07:56 AM   #18
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello and thanks.

I haven`t listened to many. I am after the Metallica/Megadeth heavier sound. The guitar has ESP dual humbuckers installed but in the future I will probably sell it (when I get somewhat better) and buy something with stock EMG81s or similar.
Old 1st November 2018, 10:42 AM   #19
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

An easy tryout: lift R7 (limits the available clipper gain) and halve the R3 (solder another 10k across it). If it works you can later add a large value R7 (imho you will end up somewhere around 3,3meg).
Old 1st November 2018, 11:34 AM   #20
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am after the Metallica/Megadeth heavier sound.
That explains the Marshall recommendation. Or perhaps Mesa Boogie MkII

The hard option is to build in the first two tubes of the JCM 800 and then feed that into your existing tone stack.

The slightly easier option would be to build it as a micro amp and then feed that into your clean input.

Here's how to do the 5F6A+12ax7 aka JTM-45. To do the JCM-800 would take one more (1/2) valve but the idea's clear enough. You could do a Mesa Boogie but they're more work and have more volts (400+) in the preamp.bb

You've also got to remember that the guitar sound on the records results from multiple tracks taken from different places in the room (and possibly several amps), and stadiums have the same effect. So you might want a touch of reverb or similar to get the same feel in the bedroom/practice room.

Last edited by thoglette; 1st November 2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: messing with boogie

Strong distortion tube line driver?Hide this!Advertise here!