Burnt resistor in Line Amp Circuit of Mixing Desk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!

Been restoring a mixing desk (Roland RM-1600) without any problem since I was plugged to the unbalanced Out (TRS). Both channels working, nor mayor problems but a buzzing noise coming and going. I connected then the balanced output and Left chanel was dead. Testing with multimeter arrived to a smoked carbonized Resistor (R60/ 47Ohm). I have been looking for a short, soldering mistakes since I changed all caps of this board, Monitor Board and Channels Boards. Since couldn't find any short, my suspicions are between C87/C88 (470uf. 16V) and C47/C48 (47uf, 16V) since I have not way to test them I'm stuck.

Any thoughts, ideas or tips would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• Line Amp.jpg
    Line Amp.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Just hook up the meter, and turn on the power briefly. Probably you won't get much voltage,
if any, which means a short. The resistor's already shot and needs to be replaced.
My bet is on a backwards capacitor.

Last edited:
Ok guys, after hours and hours of measurements and debugging possible failures this is what I found: somehow the plastic that wraps C48 it opened at the edge and the positive leg was in short with the aluminium can. It was microscopic. In circuit C48 didn't present a short cut, however I desoldered this guy to replace it but didn't found any other of its specifications. Having no option to get a new one till tomorrow I just start to looking at it and thinking and suddenly had the idea to replicate its legs position in the circuit with the fingers while testing it in diode mode, and voilá!!!! The beep brought back the light.

Finally wrapped all legs of all caps in all parallel circuits in the same board with shrinking spaguetti insultation to prevent any future burn because I have no idea how this problem happened since the console was working fine.

Now the console is on in test mode and till now all good.

Thank you everybody for time and attention to helping me find out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.