Clone preamp section of JC-120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anyone have thoughts on this? Don't want the distortion or amp section, just the clean guitar preamp with volume / treble / bass / mid tones controls...

Send output to an amp of my choice (ss, tube, class d, etc)...

A waste of effort or worthwhile?

Attachments

• Roland JC-120, JC-160 (79-4) Jazz Chorus Service Manual.pdf
    765.9 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Build the plain top channel, sections involving Q1 to Q4, up to the left side of R29, place the output jack there.

Personally I would add a unity gain Buffer , a single 100% NFB Op Amp is perfect for that, so output is lower impedance and can drive longish cables and most any Power Amp input.

You will need to build a clean 27V (nominal) supply to feed the preamp, anything from 24V to 30V will do, and if you add the Op Amp buffer (a single TL071 is enough) you can also feed it same single supply as the rest of the preamp, no need to get +/-15V just for it.

If needed, ask me for a simple single supply Op Amp buffer.

You will end with a very nice, loud and clean "Jazzy" sounding amp, great also for Pop, Country, Funky, etc.

In fact, sort of an SS "Twin Reverb" sound type of amp.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Looks to be a pretty basic design... I should have something bread-boarded in a jiffy. Just gotta get up with Digikey and make an order...Mybe couple this pre onto an ICEPower 200ASC as it has a 47VDC output pin....add a couple zeners and I should be able to get the 27V and 43V for the pre...

I just purchased a JC-55 combo and a JC-77 chassis (both not working) to see what they sound like.

I am liking Solid State guitar amps more than tube - I picked up a broken Fender Princeton 65 (the solid state Princeton, not tubed) for peanuts, and was shocked on how good and clean it sounds, and how well it took pedals. I have since sold off a couple tube amps (two Peavey Valvekings, a 100 watt Peavey Windsor, a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and Hot Rod Deluxe (all purchased off Craigslist, broken, that I fixed) to "Fund" my new foray into Solid State Guitar amps, hence the two JC's. I was going to pick up a JC-120 (with "issues") local but it is HUGE and HEAVY)

Thanks PRR - you probably dont remember, but you help me sort through a 6L6GC / 6SL7 / 5U4 amp that was literally given to me back in 2005. I joined this forum to try to fix this amp (turned out to be bad input 6SL7) and learn about electronics. I asked some incredibly foolish (and dangerous) questions.

Hundreds of fixed amps later, I am here...

You RAWK PRR!

My wife, on the other hand, wishes I never joined this forum. Bah!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, with all the 10K power amps around, I agree with a buffer.

Attachments

• JC-120-JFET-cut.gif
    JC-120-JFET-cut.gif
    17 KB · Views: 1,045
Agree with PRR´s buffer, too much in a hurry to open the Service manual now but if R29 and R33 are the channel mixing resistors yes, they are not needed now.

As of FET replacements, given that their characteristics vary a lot from unit to unit, best is to buy a few extra and try them, leave the ones which work closer to expected and save poorer ones for non critical stuff ... such as unity gain buffers.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I vaguely remember that the 2SK170 should not be used over 18 vdc rail...hmmm.....

Rated 40V breakdown.

Gate current WILL rise over a few Volts. In some audio circuits, that matters. In this one, it does not.

I'm not gonna offer any opinion on JFET substitution. If you know basic amplifiers, you can probably figure how to re-bias. If you have to ask, it may get frustrating.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK so I have the preamp all soldered up and looking to supply the voltage from an ICEPower 200ASC 47VDC hanger header. I have quite a few 1N5354 17V 1W Zeners...can I do the following assuming I would only be drawing 10 - 20ma:

Attachments

• 34v.png
    34v.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 268
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Built the pre and it sounds about as clean and quiet as I ever heard. Me likes!

Only one issue - too much GAIN!. I know I have a 1 Meg Linear volume pot, and have a real hard time getting past 1 with bleeding ears... I don't think changing it to a Log pot would do me any good with all that gain. I am thinking of pulling Q4 or modding Q4 to reduce some of the gain...any thoughts?

Hate to bastardize a known loved and proven design, but maybe the output section of the real JC-120 NEEDED all that gain to operate correctly? Clearly I don't.

For the hell of it, I put this JC Clone preamp into the Amp input of my effects loop of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I was floored! This thing ROCKS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.