Modding AKG D501 microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey yall
been a silent reader for a while now, and got a wee question, so it's time for a first post :)
i have entry-level electronics skills atm.

so i got this old AKG mic. probably reporters mic from the 1970'. i am willling to mod it to have a balanced output .

as funky as it is, it features a funky conductors layout. it has a shield, and then 4 coloured wires. ( blue red green white).
atm, it features an unbalanced TS 1/4 plug, only the green is soldered to tip, shield soldered to sleeve, and all the other wires are not connected at all.
this layout makes me think that the maker took in advance the possibility of modding it to have a balanced output. just in a 2x2 way, that i have came across actually in higher-end cable makers such as Canare.

any way, my line of thinking is to open the mic and inspect the capsule, figure out which 2 wires are + and which are -, then solder respectively.

any objections ? might i overlooked any critical parameter?:eek:

the only piece of info i was able to find : https://www.akg.com/on/demandware.s...talog_Harman/default/dw48eccfcf/pdfs/D501.pdf

EDIT:
now that line out of the brochoure got me thinking: "push-button with locking postion for the remote control of associated equipment (control circuit in mike-cable)."

what they refer here i believe is the "push to talk" button with ON locking postion it features .
Might this features has to do with the conductors layout? (and if so, as i am willing to use it in-studio, i don't mind bypassing it )

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.