Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Bottle Rocket tube pedal (made by Mesa/Boogie)
Bottle Rocket tube pedal (made by Mesa/Boogie)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2018, 05:36 PM   #11
Psicopanque is offline Psicopanque  Brazil
diyAudio Member

ok, as it was said before: theres 3 slots on the pcb to install a 20k Mid pot, as stock it comes without pot;

theres a mid increase if we install a pot 'slightly' more resistive, such as 50k

but... what happens if we leave that trim slot untouched, with no mids pot, as stock?

EDIT: i've found 2 220k resistors in kinda of a tricky spot, since the schematic says its NOT the one communicating with the pin2;

i've put the board against a light source to see better the signal path, yet no clear results.

with a multimeter set to beep shorted signals, i *Think* it's the red-red-black-orange-brown on the right side of a brown brick cap, pointed with a blade on the picture attached on this post.

as yall can see the pic, the 220k resistor that must be shorted is NOT the r40, is it accurate?

(the suspected resistor to be shorted isnt labeled such as r1, r2 etc)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180407_145435.jpg (405.1 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Psicopanque; 7th April 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:35 PM   #12
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can't tell you much about the layout, just going by the schematic. I would think the input of the circuit is by the input jack side and the latter part of the circuit by the output jack. Otherwise you have the method used, see through the board and trace with a ohm meter. Might help out using the ohms function rather than the conductivity (beep) function because some resistance in series can still beep but 2k in the circuit will not read as 0 ohms while both will beep.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

aw, thanks... i found it anyway, was that r21 non labeled as i suggested

well, i'm not sure, but it worked.

since that resistor was better than the 220k i had (mine was a brown one, striped red-red-yellow-gold)

i decided to pull it to parallel with the stock 220k first plate resistor to drop it half, it worked very well (i piggybacked it for the ease of reversing the mod if i decide to sell the pedal someday)

i had no resource to drop the 2k2 cathode to 1k5, so i piggybacked a 2k resistor in parallel to it

now that i've tested this second mod (first was bypass the 220k sucka)

i'm about to twinkle with the 33k cathode bypass v2b suggestion to see what happens;

so far i'm getting very satisfied with the results and i'm very thankful to all of you

later i'll update all experiments here and attach pictures to pile up future knowledge for everyone that uses the bottle rocket, but even so the credit goes to all of you

much thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 09:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Actually that 33k stage does not have all that much gain. If you drop the cathode resistance gain will go up.

The 2k in parallel with the 2.2k is fine.

Try to jumper across that 220k before the tone stack. I think that will give you your bigest bang for your buck right now.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

this is true. i've tried lowering the 33k and it increased microphonics/feedback

but i liked it because it took the pedal to fuzz area. a very midrangey fuzz that i never achieved with either si/ge fuzzboxes

i'll experiment more of this v2b cathode tweaks later to shape the drive voicing, then the advice regarding lifting the high pass to make it more midsy

i havent yet installed the 50k mid pot (ive got one) and the signal is already better with the treble and bass on 0

now i'll have to close the pedal cause tomorrow i'll gig, but tonight or tomorrow morning i'll upload the pictures attachment

thanks yall
Old 7th April 2018, 11:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

the pictures concerning the mods:

the blade pointing the r21 220k pre tone stack

the r21 removed and placed in parallel with the 220k first plate resistor

the 2k resistor piggybacked with the 2k2 cathode related to the first plate resistor

i forgot to photograph the v2b 33k piggyback (great mod to achieve fuzz tones)

the mid pot i just placed between ground and central slug slot a resistor of 37k i had lying around, dunno what happened 'cause its late to crank the amp, but i know it makes diff when i experimented 50k-250k-500k-1m pots.

its a great sounding pedal, thanks everyone

the other mods recommended i'll experiment monday and beyond, i'm looking forward to make it even more mid focused, but lets see what happen tomorrow at our gig... i'm not the guy who keeps pursuing an infinite goal of perfection, if it fits well... why bother some more?

well, very thanks! i don't know how you guys feel about it, but your help really made a difference in my life, and i hope our songs get to someday make any positive change on others, to make it worth the time y'all put on this project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180407_145435.jpg (405.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_201159.jpg (315.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_201211.jpg (362.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_201216.jpg (300.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_201227.jpg (381.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 9th April 2018, 04:01 AM   #17
djgibson51 is offline djgibson51  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

What size did you piggyback the V2b 33k with?
Old 9th April 2018, 06:06 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

22k, it gave me a good fuzz tone, i can picture you where in the back of PCB you should place it to make things easier, so you dont even need to dismount/disassemble the pedal

i just unmade the v2b mod because i already run a dirty single channel BHHD-12 slightly modded, so the bottle rocket is meant to be a slight organic boost, the v2b mod brought me some feedback/microphonics, but not much

maybe on clean amps its the way to go

btw, as i announced on our band facebook page, we recorded the gig live this sunday 8th so i can upload the results real soon (as soon as i sync/ finish the media... we plan to release this 11 songs as a lo-fi/average quality demo album... not so professional as the warpaint songs mix/masters or new jack white recordings on vinyl with zero compression claims, yet more defined and clear than Burzum - Filosofem album)

this pedal was used like 65% of the time

the impression i had live today is that it surely got volume/output increasement as well as more mids than before (i changed the mid resistor mod again from 37-39k to 220k)

this increase on shunted resistance to ground made the treble pot less effective related to increase highs to 10, but it still cuts the highs if set on 0, as i use it.

the bass control still adds some volume output, as it did before all the mods, but i no longer needed to increase bass to balance the volume... before the mods i had to set bass a little before halfway (say 10 o clock) but the pedal no longer decreases the volume when engaged, so i also zeroed the bass pot/knob to go more midrangey

what can i say is that maybe we need to work a little more on this bottle rocket project, to set it more on mid frequencies, so i can lower the mid resistor placed on the mids trimpot pcb slot and have more controls on treble/bass

not that i use the highs/low settings now, but with more resources i can rely on it to use as a preamp to record other instruments and do other things with the bottle rocket besides using on guitar as mid/gain boost on future projects.

but overall i'm satisfied with the bottle rocket now and it works fine for this one-trick

feel free to ask any info or picture thats on my reach to provide you, its a pleasure to share
Old 9th April 2018, 12:31 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I meant to post the link to this but forgot.

TSC
Old 9th April 2018, 05:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i know of the duncan TS calc, but its good to place link here for who doesn't

sadly, i couldn't run it on android, i have no PC or laptop

Bottle Rocket tube pedal (made by Mesa/Boogie)Hide this!Advertise here!