Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Should I use 100 ohm resistor to "lift ground"
Should I use 100 ohm resistor to "lift ground"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
garybdmd is offline garybdmd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Should I use 100 ohm resistor to "lift ground"

(Below I am talking about putting a 100 ohm resistor between the preamp output jack and ground, "lifting the ground" of the signal to prevent ground loop hum. I am not referring to taking the ground off the power cable.)

Hi all thanks for looking. I was building a preamp, and I was considering putting an optional ground switch on my output. In my study of schematics, I looked at different guitar amplifier schematics. For example, I was reading the Marshall JCM 900 schematic to see what they did.

Rather than putting a ground lift switch on the effects send, the direct out, and the "recording compensated, (ie speaker simulator/voiced/filtered), they simply placed a 100 ohm resistor on all grounds preemptively.

My question is, should I put no ground lifts, ground lift switch, or preemptively place a ground lift resistor?

Can having a 100 ohm ground lift resistor that is not needed cause problems?

Thanks anyone for your experience and expertise.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

I donīt think this will help to prevent loop hum.

It is possible to prevent loop hum by using a transformer.
Old 6th February 2018, 06:13 PM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Sometimes a resistor is put in the signal return (0V) is that what you mean? It's usually more around 5 to 10 ohms
Old 6th February 2018, 10:56 PM   #4
garybdmd is offline garybdmd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 100 ohm resistor on fx send and preamp outputs

One time i had hum between preamp and amp and it was suggested i add a small resistor between the grounds and it worked like a charm. Yhis was suggested by a saavy member of this forum. Here is a link to an article what Im talking about. Avoiding Ground Loop Hum

I have attached a small portion of a schematic to illustrate what im talking about. It looks to me like they are placing 100ohm resistors on jack output grounds. I have assumed this is to prevent hum. Maybe there is some other purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1820B65F-D6C2-4B64-AF26-3A1BC490004B.jpeg (121.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 11:12 PM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Yes, it can help, in that article it says 10 to 100 ohms, I'd use the lowest resistance that does the job, in a well designed and laid out system it shouldn't be necessary

Should I use 100 ohm resistor to "lift ground"Hide this!Advertise here!