Should I use 100 ohm resistor to "lift ground"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Below I am talking about putting a 100 ohm resistor between the preamp output jack and ground, "lifting the ground" of the signal to prevent ground loop hum. I am not referring to taking the ground off the power cable.)

Hi all thanks for looking. I was building a preamp, and I was considering putting an optional ground switch on my output. In my study of schematics, I looked at different guitar amplifier schematics. For example, I was reading the Marshall JCM 900 schematic to see what they did.

Rather than putting a ground lift switch on the effects send, the direct out, and the "recording compensated, (ie speaker simulator/voiced/filtered), they simply placed a 100 ohm resistor on all grounds preemptively.

My question is, should I put no ground lifts, ground lift switch, or preemptively place a ground lift resistor?

Can having a 100 ohm ground lift resistor that is not needed cause problems?

Thanks anyone for your experience and expertise.

100 ohm resistor on fx send and preamp outputs

One time i had hum between preamp and amp and it was suggested i add a small resistor between the grounds and it worked like a charm. Yhis was suggested by a saavy member of this forum. Here is a link to an article what Im talking about. Avoiding Ground Loop Hum

I have attached a small portion of a schematic to illustrate what im talking about. It looks to me like they are placing 100ohm resistors on jack output grounds. I have assumed this is to prevent hum. Maybe there is some other purpose.

Attachments

• 1820B65F-D6C2-4B64-AF26-3A1BC490004B.jpeg
    1820B65F-D6C2-4B64-AF26-3A1BC490004B.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 474
So what did you do in the end with the 100R to lift the circuit ground from earth?

I have this implemented on my power amplifier as it was built, and not on my preamplifier.

I am intrigued to see if I can reduce my small background hum if I remove this and put a low impedance link to earth (as I have on my pre amp)

Thanks if anyone is still watching this thread :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.