Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Sudden tube failure?
Sudden tube failure?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Most agree that the tube is operating near the meltdown zone at idle.

Quote:
299V x 0.057A = 17Watts. That is there even before there is a guitar signal present.
But only one pointed out the obvious.

Quote:
and the small core may saturate, so it would be a more difficult load at bass frequencies.
Turn off the lights in the room and observe the output tube. Is there any glow coming from the screen grid wires at idle......Then plug in the bass dial it up to 11 and thump away for a while.....it there a glowing grid now? Does the glow coincide with the loud, or the silence?

A class A amp will burn the most power in the output tube during silence. It cools off when putting out power....but not if it's OPT is saturating

If you like the sound this way, just be prepared to replace the tube more often.
Old 30th January 2018, 05:05 PM   #12
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

6V6dude,

Take a look at the plate of the one that broke; if it sagged you might be able to see that.
But it is more likely that the screen grid sagged, and you will not be able to see that, unless you take the tube apart very carefully.

As I suspected, you were willing to let the tube life shorten, to get the kind of sound you wanted. That is a valid design criteria for guitar amps.
A fisherman may use a very low test line in order to see if he can land the big fish by playing him. If the line breaks, he is willing to replace the line, and try playing the fish next time.
Old 31st January 2018, 04:47 AM   #13
6V6dude is offline 6V6dude  Australia
diyAudio Member

I remember when I was building it, it didn't have that saturated grunt I wanted at more "normal" values so I pushed the limit to get the tone. It's kind of like a car with big turbo on it, fast but shorter lifespan.
Old 31st January 2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's kind of like a car with big turbo on it, fast but shorter lifespan.
Been there.....raced that. I planned on a teardown every year, but the usual suspects were OK (turbo itself, rings, bearings, valves and valve seals). The real wear items were the timing belt, alternator, and air conditioner clutch. None of these liked being run at 7200 RPM on a motor designed for 5500 max. I also killed a transaxle just about every year.

You might experiment with a resistor in series with the screen grid. I have found that it has little affect on the tone when the amp is NOT pushed into hard clipping, but a big effect on the tone at the edge, and into clipping. Also try wiring the preamp tube's B+ supply after all or part of this resistor, with a small bypass cap.....it's value affects sag and recovery time.

What works for you is all about how you play, and the sound that you like.
Old 31st January 2018, 01:00 PM   #15
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6V6dude View Post
I remember when I was building it, it didn't have that saturated grunt I wanted at more "normal" values so I pushed the limit to get the tone. It's kind of like a car with big turbo on it, fast but shorter lifespan.
Try a 7189. Might never have to replace it.
Old 31st January 2018, 04:58 PM   #16
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for this thread!!
I am learning about guitar players, and their amplifiers.
A far cry from Hi Fi amps.

I might like to build a small guitar amp someday, but know I would be like a novice swimmer in the middle of the Pacific.
Old 31st January 2018, 05:34 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sudden tube failure?
Relocated to Instruments & Amps, home to all things guitar related.
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:55 AM   #18
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20to20 View Post
Try a 7189. Might never have to replace it.
...or the much cheaper Russian 6P14P-EV...

Sudden tube failure?Hide this!Advertise here!