Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Building Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2018, 02:49 PM   #21
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Which Mosfets did you use? Where did you get them from?
The FETs are a pair of BUZ900, BUZ905 from Farnell. In datasheet they put a power dissipation of 125watt instead of original sk134 and j49, which is 100watt channel dissipation.
Old 6th October 2018, 03:49 PM   #22
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Ok, when you measure what I asked earlier we will know whether your amp works reasonably well and just does not "seem" to be that loud or whether we have an Electronic problem.
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:32 AM   #23
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

Okay,

I've discovered a few things scoping the output of the amp.

First of all, I was WRONG telling that the volume was low. The amp is able to sound strong, but the problem is that a distortion appears at a mid-low volume.

The distortion seems to be like a fuzz pedal. When the volume is low, the amp works without that distortion. It sounds completely clear, but quiet.

But scoping the output, I realised that the origin of distortion wasn't clipping: I injected 1 kHz increasing volume in a preamp, and these were the results.

input 1khz (convert-video-online.com) (1).mp4

As you can see, clipping is in a higher level than the distortion that makes the amp at a mid-low volume.

So, I measured the voltage in output, just before clipping in scope (no speaker attached). The AC voltage in output is 3.7 V. See what happens when I connect at this point the speaker. The distortion appears, and it sounds.

I tried it with a guitar too. When I'm playing softly, or at a low volume, it sounds clean. Even when I scoped the output without the speaker, the amp didn't seem to make the distortion that makes when I put a load to it.

ddd (convert-video-online.com) (1).mp4
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:39 AM   #24
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

And these were my attemps to solve the problem (surprise... no)

I put a TRIMMER in the R54 but I didn't change ANYTHING!!! I mean, the trigger was of 1kOhm, and in the schematic R54 was of 100Ohm. Okay, I set the trigger to 100 Ohm to go up or down... and when I put to 0 Ohm or to 1kOhm, the sine wave doesn't even react.

I put a gain pot (50k linear) in R61 (Originally 10k) but this reacted normally. As I increased gain, output was increased.

The problem is the distortion...Why?!!!
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:12 PM   #25
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

I missed a thing:

I measured the DC supply. It was perfect (+47.9 to GND and -47.9 to GND) even symmetric.
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:21 PM   #26
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

If you can't see the video, here are some screen frames.

1kHz - NO speaker.png

1kHz - speaker distortion.png

1kHz - speaker.png

1kHz -no speaker clipping.png
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:02 PM   #27
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

the video shows some current limiting effect when loaded with 8 ohms. did you check supply rails under load?
Old 3rd November 2018, 03:27 PM   #28
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

Hi voltwide,

This is how the rails looks like:

The amp switched on with -inf db signal: +47.9 V // -47.9 V

The amp switched on with low volume and no distortion: +47.7 V // -47.7 V

The amp switched on with maximum volume: +46.0 V // -45.8 V

I think this little drop is normal, isn't it?
Old 8th November 2018, 11:06 AM   #29
jrow is offline jrow
diyAudio Member

Plzzzz help !!!
Old 8th November 2018, 12:07 PM   #30
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I have seen two very obscure problems cause distortion like that.

1/ Having a ferrite cored inductive component in series with the load. This can be something as small as a ferrite bead slipped over one of the output leads somewhere. The material saturates and gives this weird distortion... more likely an issue at high frequencies though.

2/ Another inductive issue can be having a shared magnetic component (such as a dual wound ferrite core) in series with each rail. Mutual coupling between the supply currents again causes this odd effect.

Beyond that and its a case of scoping rails and seeing if anything is apparent. The volt drop is normal, however the rail should still remain clean though and with only a little ripple showing.

Building Marshall Lead 100 MOSFETHide this!Advertise here!