Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

DIY 4 Channels USB Audio interface (Instrument inputs, configurable gain) ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 10:55 AM   #11
alonper is offline alonper  Israel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, I would simply solder all the piezos together and then run them through a preamp of some sort.
My main goal in this project is to stream each of the Piezos signals separately...
I am working on a new version for this research The Chameleon Guitar, and the most important aspect is to stream all the 4 piezos thats located on a different places on the resonator (soundboard) to the PC and then analyze them and perform some sound manipulations...it pretty complicated to understand why, but this is the main goal of our research..

Anyway I've got to design a good pre-amp to convert the high impedance to low, and to amplify to line level..then I need to find an 4 channel ADC with USB interface, or add another USB gate , maybe the miniDSP USBStreamer, its got I2S inputs..

Quote:
Quote:
If you need 4 separate audio streams simultaneously into your computer via USB, that becomes a much more complex and/or expensive problem.
Yes, I agree with flysig. If you can merge your 4 channels together and record a mix, your project is quite simple and can be accomplished with any USB soundcard. Including those very inexpensive (and tiny) ones.
I know that this mission is complicated but this is the main goal of my project

Quote:
But I've been more interested in the preamps built into some modern audio IC's. I'm interested in the TLV320AIC3104 series. They are inexpensive and they have built in microphone preamps, with balanced inputs. They can be used in multiples to create 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, etc configurations. I'm also interested in the PCM1864 series as well. They are 4 channel ADC converters that can be used in multiples as well. Both chips have preamps built right in.
The PCM1864 input impedaces per analog input is really low...its about 10-20K.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thank you, it's been a while and I just got the miniDSP USBstreamer that has 4 I2S inputs and It can be my USB gateway...
Currently I am trying to concentrate on the USB ADC module, later on, I will design the pre-amp for the channels.
so I am looking on this breakout :SparkFun PCM1803A Stereo breakout,and I am working on redesign this board to have 2*PCM1803 adcs, with 2*I2S data outputs, removing the crystal oscillator and receiving the Master Clock from the USBStreamer.
Old 8th February 2018, 03:55 PM   #13
JayShoe is offline JayShoe  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks cool..... You could consider just using 2 of the PCM1803A PCB's instead of designing your own. This way you don't have to do all that extra work. But I know you are pressed for size.

I think your methods are sound and the choices of chips are quite nice.
Old 8th February 2018, 04:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's an option, but I must redesign the original SparkFun design because it doesn't have MSCLK I2S input and it cant work with the USBstreamer,
In the meantime, I just removed the oscillator and added pin with MSCLK input. you can look here : OSH Park ~
now I am trying to add extra PCM1803 chip for 2 more channels..

Last edited by alonper; 8th February 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 8th February 2018, 09:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Woah, that's pretty sweet!

This might in fact work for my project. Are you a programmer too? What's your plan on coding the Streamer? Is there any work that needs to be done or does it just receive whatever is thrown at it?
Old 24th June 2018, 07:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

alonper,

The Teensy Audio Library can record 4 channels input, it's pretty tiny, but it doesn't have a preamp. I saw you on that forum so I figure you know about this right?

Teensy Audio Library, high quality sound processing in Arduino sketches on Teensy 3.1

I don't think you can record 4 channels USB - but you can record 4 channels to the SD card and then import those files into the computer. I'm not sure if that does what you want it to do.

I'm currently looking at this for my project. My Teensy comes in the mail Friday.

Jay
Old 24th June 2018, 09:17 PM   #17
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

As an analogue front end and impedance converter I would recommend a simple TL074 quad-op-amp wired as quad voltage-follower/buffer. Its four outputs feed 4 ADC inputs.
It is simple like that, no need for any lunatic boutique parts

DIY 4 Channels USB Audio interface (Instrument inputs, configurable gain) ?Hide this!Advertise here!