Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?
Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2017, 02:35 AM   #31
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneck335 View Post
Put it as the FIRST preamp stage, like a Fender AB763 circuit.
Old 9th December 2017, 07:44 PM   #32
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Thank you very much! (I hate signing up for an entire forum just to download one single file I might be interested in.)

The first triode has a 220k anode resistor, feeding a 250k pot, and a 100k grid bias resistor in parallel. That seems like a pretty heavy load for a stage with a such a large anode resistor.

The second triode stage is even stranger, with a 270 anode load feeding a 10k (!) tone pot. Yeah, there's a 100nF cap in series, but that is down to 1.6 kilo ohms reactance by 1 kHz, so it's not helping the loading situation much.

I know virtually nothing about valve circuits running on such low anode voltages, and the posted sound clips of this one do sound good. That said, maybe there is some room for improvement in the design.

This is the kind of circuit where I think ordinary discrete BJTs and JFETs may be perfectly good options for buffering, without having to use an entire op-amp each time.

-Gnobuddy
Old 10th December 2017, 12:20 AM   #33
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

The reason the amp values seem odd is the person 'designing' the amp did not seem to have a full grasp of electronics, at least from what I gathered from the posts. Basically mismashed a few online diagrams together.

I would not have bothered signing up, I did a search for the amp and it came up with the link.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:55 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The reason the amp values seem odd is the person 'designing' the amp did not seem to have a full grasp of electronics,
Yeah, I kinda got that feeling too. Still, it does seem to sound good...
Quote:
I did a search for the amp and it came up with the link.
I tried a Google search too, but "lil green watter", "lil green", and a few similar variations each produced 50,000 hits, none of which was even loosely related to what I was looking for.

It probably didn't help that "Watter" isn't even in the actual PDF file name, and Google was very keen to turn "Watter" into "water" for me!

-Gnobuddy
Old 10th December 2017, 10:33 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I have been doing a lot of Googling (thousands of hours) on a medical condition, by now to me it is like a puzzle trying to find stuff with Google. Lot of chaff out there to find a nugget. 50,000 hits my ***, after the first 2-3 pages you might as well be playing darts blindfolded.
Old 10th December 2017, 10:38 PM   #36
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes. I noticed the same.
Google is trolling lately.
Old 11th December 2017, 01:07 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Google's entire success was built on the accuracy and effectiveness of their page ranking system. It used to be vastly better than every other search engine that came before it (remember Altavista, Ask Jeeves, WebCrawler, etc?)

Current Google management would be incredibly stupid to allow that much-vaunted accuracy to slide. If Google starts returning nonsense results, someone will step in and fill the gap with a better search engine. I hope.

-Gnobuddy
Old 11th December 2017, 02:55 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Yeah but Google now owns YouTube.
Old 7th January 2018, 10:51 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Just for giggles we were talking on another site. Two Tubes!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th February 2018, 03:28 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Not that this circuit is one tube, just a continuation on the thought of the last circuit. Think I may see how this one will sound.

Click the image to open in full size.

Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?Hide this!Advertise here!