Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?
Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 03:02 PM   #21
lcsaszar is online now lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Check out the Johnson/AXL T15-R guitar combo: one 12AX7 and integrated power stage.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:27 PM   #22
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

This one ( Lil' Green Watter! ) seems to have both decent cleans, and decent overdrive (though not entirely clear if the overdrive near the end of the video is from an external FX pedal, or not).

The design uses one 12AU7A followed by a solid-state chip amp, a tiddly LM386 in this case. But that only does clean power amplification, so any chip amp of your choice should do the trick, class-D modules being the obvious choice these days.

I don't have a membership on that forum and can't see posted files, but it looks like the creator of that design uploaded them so they are available for all members.

-Gnobuddy
Old 4th December 2017, 11:24 PM   #23
AquaTarkus is offline AquaTarkus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
This one ( Lil' Green Watter! ) seems to have both decent cleans, and decent overdrive (though not entirely clear if the overdrive near the end of the video is from an external FX pedal, or not).
It says there's both a Rangemaster and a Klon being used in the video.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:40 AM   #24
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built a couple little palm sized amp using the LM386 and a 4" car speaker. A buddy used it to busk with for years. The chip does have a following among the lo fi crowd, I thought about using one in a distortion circuit but since I started listening to what others have been doing with SS devices I'll pass on the LN386.

Just pulled up the schematic to the little green thing. A TL702 feeding two cascaded 12AU7's running on 12V into another TL072 into the LM386.
Old 5th December 2017, 05:02 AM   #25
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Just pulled up the schematic to the little green thing. A TL702 feeding two cascaded 12AU7's running on 12V into another TL072 into the LM386.
12AU7 seems to run nicely on 12V, by all reports (if you can't find a 12U7). I'm sketching up a 18V (laptop powersupply) combo with one channel 12AU7 and the other a Run Off Groove "Thunderbird" feeding a chip amp & 5" speaker for a local "young'un" who wants those sort of sounds. (e.g. Dead Kennedys - power chords one moment, jangle the next)

Still to determine if I need a cab/sim (or Gnobuddy's "nastiness remover" ) to meet the brief!

Last edited by thoglette; 5th December 2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Credit where credit is due
Old 5th December 2017, 01:12 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Depends on what you are looking for. Just to say there is a tube in there then it is ok. I tried the Valvecaster thing (think that was the earliest 12AU7 pedal build) and I not that appealing. Mind you I did not try to equalize it any more than a treble roll off control. 18V should be better, I think I tried it up to 45V, the maximum of my variable PS.

valvecaster - Google Search
Old 6th December 2017, 12:37 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTarkus View Post
It says there's both a Rangemaster and a Klon being used in the video.
I saw that at the beginning of the video, but I'm not sure if that was still the case at the end.

I'm fighting off a cold, maybe I'm just being stupid. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed right now.

-Gnobuddy
Old 8th December 2017, 07:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Anyone know if the "Lil' Green Watter" is based on Merlin Blencowe's low-voltage white-paper ( http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Triodes...s_Blencowe.pdf )?

Blencowe's designs are the only ones I've seen that use opamps to drive valves operating at low anode voltages.

-Gnobuddy
Old 8th December 2017, 10:49 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

File sharing and storage made simple
Old 9th December 2017, 12:21 AM   #30
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

NuTube is usually driven from/into opamps.

Given one 12AX7 how would you run it given the rest of the amp is SS?Hide this!Advertise here!