Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Heater Wiring - Parallel Wires vs. Twisted Pair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2017, 01:54 PM   #1
FourT6and2 is offline FourT6and2
diyAudio Member

Default Heater Wiring - Parallel Wires vs. Twisted Pair

I've done the heater wiring in this build differently. I used parallel bus wire instead of twisted pairs. And I elevated the heaters by referencing to the B+ line. You can see how I rigged up the voltage divider like how Valve Wizard shows it on his website. B+ is 497v. I used a 1M and 100K resistor with a 47uF smoothing cap to form the divider. Gets me about 45v for elevation. I think I got away with parallel bus wire instead of twisted pairs because all the leads from the preamp are going over the sockets and straight down.

Amp is quiet. No hums or buzzes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 31st May 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:58 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Doing the opposite of good practice and apparently getting away with it shows you are lucky. However, exactly how much hum is "no hum"? Do you mean no hum by hi-fi standards or guitar amp standards?
Old 1st June 2017, 10:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Doing the opposite of good practice and apparently getting away with it shows you are lucky. However, exactly how much hum is "no hum"? Do you mean no hum by hi-fi standards or guitar amp standards?
This is a guitar amp. And the design in question is a Soldano SLO, which has been around for about 30+ years now. Seems to work just fine But no, this isn't a hi-fi amp by any stretch of the imagination. When I say no hum, I mean I hear no hum coming out of the speakers. It's quiet.
Old 1st June 2017, 10:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't think it's luck, either Plenty of amp builders (guitar amps) have been doing it this way for a long time. But yeah, not "hi-fi." If this is a "hi-fi" only forum, sorry. I didn't know...

Here is a Hi-Watt:

Wizard:

Old 1st June 2017, 11:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The forum covers hi-fi, other audio and guitar etc. There is a separate forum area for guitar amps, but heater wiring could refer to either type.

I was not aware that wiring AC heaters in the 'wrong' way was common in guitar amps. However, other examples of poor layout practice are common there too so perhaps I should not be surprised.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:26 AM   #6
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Parallel heater wiring isn't really a common practice in guitar amp building, SLO and Hi-Watt being the two well-known exceptions.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Parallel heater wiring isn't really a common practice in guitar amp building, SLO and Hi-Watt being the two well-known exceptions.
Well and Diezel. And Framus. And Peters. And Wizard. And Muller. And like 100 others... So yeah, I guess not that 'common' lol. Oh, and Bogner. They've been around for a while I think

I'm not saying this is the BEST way to do it. Just that it's done. And it can work too, given the right application/context. Not trying to start a fight or anything...

Last edited by FourT6and2; 1st June 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

So why do so many designs get it wrong? Is it because musicians expect to hear a little hum so they know the amp is actually on?
Old 1st June 2017, 11:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
So why do so many designs get it wrong? Is it because musicians expect to hear a little hum so they know the amp is actually on?
No idea. But it seems to work just fine Right or wrong in one's mind, reality sometimes plays out differently.

I'll put it this way, y'all hi-fi guys look for crystal clear 100% perfect audio so you can hear all the nuances in the music tracks, recorded with guitar amps that hum!

Last edited by FourT6and2; 1st June 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 1st June 2017, 12:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Putting AC current through large loops creates AC magnetic fields in reality, whether or not in anyone's mind.

Quote:
I'll put it this way, y'all hi-fi guys look for crystal clear 100% perfect audio so you can hear all the nuances in the music tracks, recorded with guitar amps that hum!
That is because the aim of hi-fi is to faithfully reproduce whatever the musicians call music, even if it includes hum or hum intermodulation. Hum in a guitar amp may be good art; hum in a hi-fi amp is bad engineering.

Heater Wiring - Parallel Wires vs. Twisted PairHide this!Advertise here!