Best bang for the buck microphone for recording music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is that a fact or just your opinion?

If its fact then I guess all those people like Kendrick audio who custom builds tens of thousands of dollars speakers doesnt understand sound. LOL

Lets just see what happens, then you judge.

First lets assume you've got the perfect recording with the perfect replay chain. BTW this is impossible at this moment in time.
Then you want to record that.
-What mic to use? You need the perfect mic, witch doesn't exist.
-Where to place the mic? A cm change in position can and often does make an audible difference. Press rec.
-The acoustics of the replay room are now being super imposed onto the acoustics of the recording. Hint this is the thing that you can't avoid, even if everting else is perfect, witch it isn't.
-Once you've recorded it, you need to upload to utube with its not so perfect perceptual codecs.
-Now listen to the utube vid.

Edit: Iow there are to many variables and no reference point. For a good judgement, you need just one variable and a reference point.

Last edited:
Never said anything about a "perfect mic"....I said best bang for the buck.:rolleyes:

Again never said anything about a perfect recording or a perfect mic or perfect room acoustics or perfect codecs, its seems you are getting too far ahead and technical of yourself. ;)

So are you saying a $25.00 microphone will sound the same on youtube as a $2500.00 microphone if everything else is equal?

I am not asking if one can accurately judge the quality of a replay system on youtube as compared to hearing it in person...I am asking if there is a DIFFERENCE in sound quality of the cheapest mic as opposed to one of better quality, if all else is equal? And if there is a difference what is the best bang for the buck microphone..Now unless all microphones sound exactly the same then the best bang for the buck would be the cheapest one but apparently that is not the case or so Ive heard...its seems you are taking my simple question and making it out to be more technical then it actually is. :D

Last edited:
I am asking if there is a DIFFERENCE in sound quality of the cheapest mic as opposed to one of better quality, if all else is equal?

Yes, all mics sound different.

But because there's no way of knowing what is actual better, the cheapest mic is good enough. Reason: To many variables and no reference.

If you got a bit more to spend, I suggest the ELAM 251. Not the reissue, that sounds crap, but an original.

I guess it comes down to personal preference of each individual when looking at it in general as there are some people that prefer Bose over Kefs. :D

Now you've got me confused because you said there is no way of knowing what is better yet you called the reissue crap? ;)

Thanks for you suggestion though :cheers:

I guess it comes down to personal preference of each individual when looking at it in general as there are some people that prefer Bose over Kefs. :D
I'd say it comes down to common sense: Don't even try.

Now you've got me confused because you said there is no way of knowing what is better yet you called the reissue crap? ;)
Sarcasm.

You're persistant I'll say.
Proper sounding media IMHO are LP's ,well engineered (rare) CD's, 1/4" 7.5 IPS reel to reel tape (or wider or faster).
.wav files can be good, MP4's may be okay. MP3's are ****.
utube is ****.
for opinions on mikes, see recordinghacks.com
They test with acoustic guitars, which are easy to record.
I test with acoustic piano, which is very difficult. I bought Shure KSM27 used. One for $80, the mate for $150. See these on KET Jubilee, and Woodsongs. Every other mike I've owned has been ****. Every live recording I've been in has sounded like **** except a session using a pair of RCA 44's a guy had once. That was vocal + electric keyboard, no piano involved.
I've heard nice words about audiotechnica 4050, on a piano website.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So best bang for buck would be the cheapest mic.
No, not true. But you don't have to spend a lot. Certainly not over $150.
A mic with a cardioid of hyper-cardioid pattern will help reduce room tone and sound more like what you hear in the room than an omni.

There are hundreds of mic comparison tests on YouTube. Listen to those on headphones and hear how well the good old SM57 does. :) You can learn a lot form those demo videos. I find my inexpensive AT2020 to have a very natural sound.

I tried mics built into the camera and mics built into the smart phone. No good. Nothing to do with cost, a lot more to do with pattern and distance from the source. Get close, use a decent mic.

A Zoom recorder would be a good option, for sure.

Mics are a funny thing, because really they are all differently broken, same as speakers.

Best bang for the buck can be (Among other things):
An SM58, (primary virtue, can use it as a hammer, and every rock vocalist recognises it).
A B&K small diaphragm measurement mic (Relatively good OMNI, and the high voltage ones have very good dynamic range).
A U47 (Tells artists they are in a real studio).
A cheap Rhode, which is not really likely the weakest link if you are then coding for youtube.
Sometimes a cheap Chinese condenser fits the bill here, cheaper then the Rhode but application dependent may or may not have problems that matter to you.

They are **ALL** the best bang for the buck in slightly different applications, and prices vary by at least two orders of magnitude.

But yea, youtube demos of speakers and mics are basically a fail, far too easy to optimise and then far too lossy in the codec department, get me in the room with the gear, in fact get the gear in my room, only way to know.

Regards, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.