Mixing Console - Acceptable Ripple Spec

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,

I would like to ask to all what theyre experience and opinions are on what would be a minimum requirement or acceptable ripple spec from a linear regulated psu? I'll be looking to get a new supply for my mixing console, and i would like the best performance possible, the modules I am looking at spec at 1.5mV rms.. would anyone consider this a little bit high for best quality audio?? There are modules that I can get which are lower at 0.25mV rms but these are quite a bit more expensive, however even so this may be overkill for my board, not too sure.
I'm just after the best performance and lowest noise, but are there situations where the lowest spec is 'overkill' or 'wasted' anyway like I mention above?

Many thanks for your time!

Ripple in a mixing console doesn't matter. 1Volt p-p or 1mV p-p you will not hear any difference because the ICs use a balanced input and balanced power supply and they compensate for any ripple.
Don't waste your money.
That's preposterous. Ripple in a mixing console WILL make a difference. If you have 1.5 mv of ripple on your supply, it will end up on your output signal. That's about 65 db down from a +4 output level, which is definitely audible. It should ideally be about 20 db below that, which would be a supply with 0.15 mv ripple. Use a regulated supply with 22,000uF caps.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There's all different "mixing consoles", which is why OP is not going to get any simple answer.

I have seen discrete designs where "all" ripple fed to the output.

Using 1970s chips it was trivial to get >80dB PSRR at low frequencies, and 220uFd power supplies (say 0.2V ripple) gave "no buzz" driving near-field monitors in quiet room.

Larger "consoles" typically have a lot of local decoupling to reduce signal sneakage, which incidentally cuts the buzz.

If you have 1.5 mv of ripple on your supply, it will end up on your output signal.

Absolute nonsense.
Op Amps used in mixers (or anywhere else) have HUGE ripple rejection, so it does NOT show in the output.

The only way to have same level supply ripple at the rails and at the output jack is by connecting a large value capacitor from rail to output jack, go figure.:rolleyes:

In this example, 1.5mV supply ripple looks like an excellent rating.

Lower is better but if it becomes too expensive, just let it pass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.