Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

OTL amps for guitar duty
OTL amps for guitar duty
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #161
atmasphere is offline atmasphere  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 View Post
The presence of proper output transformer is NOT going to prevent that either. Guaranteed. Actually it's easier to get.....
We've built a lot of guitar amps in our shop. Several of my employees build guitar amps which they play in their bands. None have come anywhere near the transparency of our OTL guitar amp; its much easier to hear the difference between a really good pickup and a cheap one, as well as the character of the guitar cable itself.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #162
Printer2 is offline Printer2  Canada
diyAudio Member

That is all we need, golden ear guitarists. They are a pain as it is.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #163
atmasphere is offline atmasphere  United States
diyAudio Member

Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #164
efeemeka is offline efeemeka
diyAudio Member

Hummm , i see one piece of sarcastic position here, or is the google translate?, or not undestand to me very goog by one moment?
I am spanish, an is dificult, for my the perfect expresión,
I say reference to this is more sensitive to tone instrument, an not enmascarate nothing....

Nothing relationship whit the magic of cable, or the light of the cosmos, or blue pitufs.

Bad boys.
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #165
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
We've built a lot of guitar amps in our shop. Several of my employees build guitar amps which they play in their bands. None have come anywhere near the transparency of our OTL guitar amp; its much easier to hear the difference between a really good pickup and a cheap one, as well as the character of the guitar cable itself.
That's your experience.My experience is that most OPT's used in guitar amps are bad, including those from notorious firms.... I guess the one you used was no exception. For me OTL's have more troubles than advantages.

P.S.
I am actually assuming that one is sure about all the other things because often people attribute things to the wrong cause. The output transformer is often the scapegoat for other troubles that people are unable to spot. 99% of users of OTP's do not really know how it works and so it's easy to make up their mind about the "transparency" tale. That's just snake oil theory. a proper transformer can more transparent than any other electronic component. In the case of guitar amp where the bandwidth is even narrower that is absolutely true.
Personal beliefs, including generic comments about the sound, with no objective proof repeated over and over at some point become the truth. Real thing is different.

OTL amps for guitar dutyHide this!Advertise here!