Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Magnetic Pickup for Cello - Idea/Question
Magnetic Pickup for Cello - Idea/Question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2017, 01:31 AM   #11
turk 182 is online now turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

as a old sound dude i used to keep a DOD Fx10 bifet preamp in my mic kit to accomodate the "guest" acoustic player the tone control on it would help solve the usual "mid" howl to get a usable level and buffer the weak output of the piezo's.
shame they're hard to find now...
one of those ahead of a distortion might just do the trick.

Last edited by turk 182; 17th January 2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 17th January 2017, 08:49 AM   #12
chaerin is offline chaerin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-volti View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but there is a cello pickup by Headway in the UK called The Band. It's available in the US. Violin/viola version was roughly $150 last I knew. I have seen one in person, but of course wasn't allowed to dissect it to see what was inside. I later learned it apparently has three piezo ceramic discs. It's in a rubber innertube-like wrap with I think velcro. It typically goes around the lower bout at the 'points' or 'corners'. It's said to not need a preamp but if you are trying the low end of a bass with piezos (I don't know freq. range of a cello), a preamp with hi-z (higher than 1 M guitar amp, like 5-10-20 Mohm) input will serve you much better.
On my bowed instrument (violin) the band picks up even more feedback than my Fishman (piezo bridge pickup).

I find it useful to use a dynamic expander first in the signal chain. It both acts somewhat as a noise gate and allows more touch-sensitivity at higher gain, which I find bowed instruments particularly lacking in, especially since the bow noise to signal ratio is ordinarily pretty bad when playing softly.

It is probably possible to feed an EQed signal into the peak follower of the dynamic expander, but not to the signal input, so that only frequencies that don't tend to cause feedback are considered as a reason to amplify the signal. I haven't experimented much with this yet, but I can already play loud enough to annoy the neighbors.
Old 18th January 2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
distortion on a cello... hope you succeed and can upload a recording of this i just gotta hear this!
Have you heard "The Sanctuary" by Darling Violetta? It was the theme song for the TV show "Angel" some years ago.

I'm not sure how much distortion is on the 'cello, but I love the way the cello and distorted guitar sound together in this song.

Studio recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPnkB_cKKi8

Live (poor audio quality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAa9mjmfmPI

-Gnobuddy
Old 8th February 2018, 12:06 PM   #14
curlewcat is offline curlewcat
diyAudio Member

I think you're going along a good route here. I play violin/fiddle and have had ongoing pickup saga's for years. Magnetic is a good route I reckon.

I have also used a band and A: There not feedback immune, B: Do require a HiZ input and C: Lose a lot of top end, presumably due to the rubbery interface.

An sm57 is also not a solution.

Why not try attaching some magnets to the end of the fingerboard, with pole towards string.
At your nut electrically connect C string to G, D string to A.
At tailpiece connect G to D. Connect C and A to the primary of an 1:20 transformer.
Jack plug on secondary of trafo and plug into a nice chunky valve amp...

Magnetic Pickup for Cello - Idea/QuestionHide this!Advertise here!