Safer VVR circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I am interested in designing/building a low power class A tube guitar amplifier (maybe a champ clone or something similar) with a VVR circuit inline on the power rail, accomplishing something similar to the design at the following site:

Voltage Scaling in Amplifiers - Power Scaling / VVR | La Révolution Deux

The idea is to drop the supply voltage seen by the amp to make it clip at a quieter volume (I'd like to add individual knobs for each stage that could be adjusted while powered on and playing). I don't want to regulate the output (this would negatively impact the distortion quality); I want to insert a floating adjustable regulator in line with the supply.

I have a bad feeling about having a pot pulled to > 300V and then adjusting it ... :eek: ... someone suggested I use a plastic knob ... l feel like this is a major safety hazard.

Does anyone know of a safer way to accomplish the same thing? Or is this safe enough with a properly selected pot?

Thank you very much!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.