Add more gain to Home built Guitar Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello all, after listening to my home built 6SL7 /6SN7 / 6L6GC PP amp at practice, I noticed my friends Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is quite a bit louder than my home built amp...I understand the HRD has 12AX7 (100mu) and I have 6SL7 (70mu),and that is part of the reason...

But after looking at the HRD Schematic I noticed that it also has two more gain stages than mine...

So I am looking to add another 6SL7 (2 more gain stages) in between the existing 6SL7 and 6SN7 as shown in the red box. Can I drop in DC Coupled as I show it? Or would I be better off with cap coupled stages?

Quite happy with the amp as is (Schematic) but I have the room in tranny for heater, and a empty octal socket...and I would mind being a bit louder to keep up with the other guitarists...

Attachments

• Final Modded EVE (1).jpg
    Final Modded EVE (1).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Add Stage Modded EVE (1).jpg
    Add Stage Modded EVE (1).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
You want more gain... OK, so why do you have a 6SN7 in your amp? Change to 6SL7. Change the P.I. 22K resistors to 47K since that will now be a 6SL7. Better yet, change to a Marshall style PI as that will give you more gain.
AC couple all stages. Quit thinking in solid state terms; you're working with tubes here.
Add the 2 extra gain stages if you want more overdrive sound but your original schematic has enough stages to fully drive the 6L6 tubes if you change the P.I. to a Marshall style PI, using 2 triode sections.

Making the anode resistors 220k yes but not lowering the cathode resistance.Like that there is allmost no -Vg left.I say put 4k7 in for -Vg=2.3V.
Shorting the 470k is a simple manner to get more gain and make the other 470k a 1M to keep the load the same.
With positive feedback you can get much more gain :cool: but if you overdo it oscillation starts :eek:.To do that I propose a trimmer of 2k in, adjust at personal taste :)
Mona

Attachments

• ModEVE.jpg
    ModEVE.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 108
Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, here is where I am with this amp after toying with it much of last night - with two 6SL7 in the amp, way too much gain and phase inverter voltages were way off, so popped in the 6SN7 and all seems much better...The phase inverter voltages are pretty much spot on...quite a bit more gain now - we will see how she sounds at practice...

Attachments

• Final revisedno extra tubes (1).jpg
    Final revisedno extra tubes (1).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Just for your possible interest.
Here is the 2 channel 6SL7 preamp that is in my own homebrew git amp. Actually it is KOC's LPSP preamp with an few component changes which I found suit the 6SL7.
Sorry about the scrappy drawing. The "corrected" component values are what I changed to when doing the "set to work"/"fine tune"
Note that as you add gain stages you need interstage attenuators so as to not overdrive the following stage by too much.
Just follow the LEAD channel path to see how to add your extra gain stages. The J201 JFETs can be replaced by a switch.
Note the channel switching control signals labelled barred LEAD and barred CLEAN. The bar meaning "NOT", that is the barred CLEAN is active when LEAD channel is selected and VV.
I run a 5E3 looking power stage which consists of another 6SL7 as common cathode gain stage and concertina splitter into a pair of 6V6.
Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• 6SL7_LPSP.jpg
    6SL7_LPSP.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.