Inc / Dec Stomp Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build an increment / decrement stomp box for my kid. The unit to be controlled requires a TRS 1/4" plug. I think the tip is inc and the ring is dec. Sounds fairly easy but I was hoping for a couple of bells and whistles. Like maybe a couple of LED digit displays that displayed the inc / dec number he was on, right next to a soft switch that he could push. Just wondering if anyone may know of an existing diy design that I could use. Thanks.

Tom

WHAT needs to be controlled?

Simple up and down switches work if that is what th circuit needs. Encoders work if THAT is what the circuit needs. and so on.

Does the thing to be controlled have a simple two button control?

I used to make custom stage controls. HAd a fellow needed a rotary encoder from a rack panel to inc/dec on a foot switch. One each for up or down. The typical infinite rotation encoder works by timing. One sensor just toggles off and on from the motion, it tells the circuit to move. The second sensor is a hair off timing from the other. So turning one way, this second sensor comes on before the first, but rotating the other way it comes on just after the first. So the circuit looks at the move pulse each time, and if it also sees the second one on it moves one direction, and if it does not, then we move the other way.

You can add all the eye candy you like. If you just have simple up and down buttons. The simple addition of a couple logic ICs would let you add blinking bulbs, or a up/down sequence of arrows, or a lit up X-men picture.

Hey Enzo, it's a Boss RC-20XL. I attached a picture of the back. It doesn't come with a pedal for the inc/dec. I have a couple of LED digit modules and I thought it would be cool if they read out the number of the inc or dec position he was on.

Attachments

• rc20xl_rear_gal.jpg
    rc20xl_rear_gal.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 48
  • LED Digits.jpg
    LED Digits.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Rough Drawing.jpg
    Rough Drawing.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 41
Here:
http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Boss/Boss_Roland_rc-20xl.pdf

That appears to be a two input logic port. Even shows INC and DEC on the rear panel. So it would be simple enough to ground out each of those inputs to see if they do what you want. So making a up/down control ought to be a snap. What I don't see is a readout on the panel, I don;t see any digital information to tap into. You could make up a digital readout, but I am not sure how you would make it a reliable indicator of where you were on a musical phrase.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.