Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

1950 Gretsch Electromatic Artist
1950 Gretsch Electromatic Artist
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2014, 09:48 PM   #11
costis_n is offline costis_n  Greece
diyAudio Member

I am guessing the secret of the great tone is also in this weirdo paraphase / common cathode splitter. Cool and few parts!
Old 18th October 2014, 10:41 PM   #12
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been looking at old amp schematics and it is the same type circuit as in the highly sought after valco Supro Thunderbolt. Of course the Gretsch was made by Valco too.

Death Cap gone. No difference in hum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf supro-1965-thunderbird-6420-tr-amp-schematic-diagram.pdf (119.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 19th October 2014, 12:21 AM   #13
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Since the amp was apart.... Here is the Volume-Treble-Bass input added on to make the schematic complete.
Attached Images
File Type: png Gretsch_Valco_Complete.png (22.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 19th October 2014, 06:42 AM   #14
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thank you! Never seen the schematic for this particular model before...
Old 24th October 2014, 09:14 PM   #15
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes I have seen that ''death '' cap in some other older designs up to '73, and like you say ''live and neutral'' was typically interchangeable with non-polarized plugs, no earth ground plug and ''polarity switch''. Back in the day you pretty much had a 50/50 chance of getting zapped touching a mic and an electric guitar at the same time. For me it was usually about 80% chance..and getting hit with 120VAC on the lips if you happened to complete the circuit on the mic..is mighty dangerous . Is that why they call it a death cap?? Yeah I remove em and put 3 prong polarized plugs. It's essential safety wise.

1950 Gretsch Electromatic ArtistHide this!Advertise here!