Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Modify Bell 3030 into a stereo guitar amp project
Modify Bell 3030 into a stereo guitar amp project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2014, 05:24 AM   #11
djgibson51 is offline djgibson51  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Have you tried the Pod into the Aux or Tuner inputs? They bypass the 1st stage.
Am I right presuming the pod has a stereo output?
Old 6th September 2014, 07:37 PM   #12
PPDB is offline PPDB
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgibson51 View Post
Have you tried the Pod into the Aux or Tuner inputs? They bypass the 1st stage.
Am I right presuming the pod has a stereo output?
Yes and yes.
The pod is stereo.

I have tried all set ups. For use with my pod the sound is very close. The lows are pretty tight sounding, but they need to be tamed down and it needs a little boost around 1.5k.

For use with just guitar It needs the bottom chopped off around 60-80hz the mids cut around 7-900hz and it needs a bit more sparkle.
Old 6th September 2014, 08:40 PM   #13
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

I'd leave it mostly as is. If anything rebiuld the phono /ceramic /
taped head section along the lines of guitar ampllifier input,
noting converting them to one input, the phono /ceramic /
tapehead switch positions could offer 3 different variants
of the basic input circuit.

All you need to do is play with the 3 different
feedback networks, and link the 3 inputs together.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 6th September 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 6th September 2014, 09:19 PM   #14
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I use a Zoom 707 effects pedal and that gives me all the sounds I could ever want.
I used to use a soft limiter to get that valve sound.
I also used a WEM copycat to get some echo.
Old 6th September 2014, 09:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I agree with sreten.
Love the stereo option - some venues (eg Churches) need a big sound, not a loud sound. Your setup will do this. You have lots of opportunity for experimenting.

PS. I used a zoom 404 in just one loop of my stereo Church rig in the '90s. Mixed wet and dry signals to taste, and also had the wet and dry cabinets facing different ways.

Last edited by djgibson51; 6th September 2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Response to Nigel
Old 6th September 2014, 09:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

To reduce bottom end experiment with C19 (0.1u). Try .047, .022, .010 to taste.
Add some top end by bypassing (bridging) R23 with a small cap. Try .22 to 2.2u.
With two channels you can compare before and after against each other.
Have fun.

Last edited by djgibson51; 6th September 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 7th September 2014, 12:35 AM   #17
PPDB is offline PPDB
diyAudio Member

Yes. I'm pretty sure I am going to keep it stereo. I am getting all kinds of ideas from your interaction and I haven't even received my e-caps yet. As was suggested earlier, I am going to start small. Learn as is and then make small changes to see what happens.

I think the first thing I will do is experiment with djgibson's suggestions of playing with c19 and r23.

Then I think I might eventually go with MaicoDoug's 6sl7 idea. I could make two stereo sets of inputs. One using the tape/aux input and bypas the first stage. Then I can use sreten's idea and flavor the first stage for guitar without the pod amp simulator... Better yet! I can keep a stereo input at the second stage level and creat a mono high gain channel with the two first stages of 12ax7s.

There's an amp designed by 4 or 5 bloggers in just two days we will see how it goes?
I will still welcome more input but I think I've got a great place to start!
Thanks for all the ideas!!!
Old 7th September 2014, 12:38 AM   #18
PPDB is offline PPDB
diyAudio Member

By the way... I do play in church! I am a worship leader, but I've have been ill for the past five years. I'm hoping things are looking up and am preparing for the day I can get out there again.
Old 7th September 2014, 01:53 AM   #19
MaicoDoug is offline MaicoDoug  United States
diyAudio Member

C19 I love to try a .05uf or smaller & C3 being 500uf? Wow. Largest I've ever gone here is a 47uf. Both of these mods will cut the deep bass.

Tell us what the stated input voltage says on the rear panel. If it says 115Vac, check the 6.3Vac filament supply under normal (no signal required) operation. The issue here is that the line voltages today are about 10Vac higher, which does place more voltage on everything. The filaments don't like much above 6.6 volts, this is with all tubes lit.

Your question regarding the coupling caps and should consider replacing them, well that's a good question. Dumble starts with a .002uf in the 1st stage of his amps. All depends how you like the current responsive curve & perhaps wanting to change it, also....how much have the current ones drifted, dried out, aged? The only way to really to know is to do some testing. Mouser has the Sprague "gum drops" for $1.60 ea. 0.01, 0.05, 0.02...I would lift one side up & check it w/ my handy cap meter to see how much it's drifted if at all. The input all of my cohorts have posted should give you a very good direction to start with.

The 6SL7 idea is for high gain inputs, like phono. Guitar is also a good use. Switching the DC bias "off" with one tube and "on" to the other, would make an interesting swap that you can do with the input rotary switch possibly. But I'm looking at this as a 100% guitar amp. Rarely if ever would one use am amp for both. I used to use my pioneer amp for practice, everyone liked the "clean" sound of 20 watts!

Your posted picture is sweet heaven, nice. Dual PP 6V6s. Easy 40 watts total out.

Doug

Last edited by MaicoDoug; 7th September 2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 7th September 2014, 02:27 AM   #20
counter culture is offline counter culture  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPDB View Post
I use a podx3 live and have had a hard time getting the sound that I want. Plugging straight into the mixer leaves it sounding... Well, digital... Thin with little feel and no liveliness to the sound. And, plugging into amp just doesn't sound right to me.
There's a limit to what can be achieved with effects, it's true, but if you can't get somewhere close to the sound you want with the kit you've got, either direct or thru an amp, then maybe you are looking for a technological fix for a human problem. The complaints you have should be easily addressed with the existing controls on a mixer or amp of comparatively little sophistication.

It is possible that what you need is a change of guitar, Fender to Gibson, or vice versa, or even different strings. You can't expect to sound like BB King playing slinkies with a .008 top E.

Bear in mind though that a very great deal of the sound you get is down to the way you finger, strike, damp and bend the strings.

Very often when people become fixated on equipment upgrades to get the sound they want, it's a way of avoiding acknowledging their own technical shortcomings. Of course I can't hear you play, I don't know what you sound like, only you can know whether it's something that you might need think about.

Modify Bell 3030 into a stereo guitar amp projectHide this!Advertise here!