Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Trace-Elliot Bipolar Bear
Trace-Elliot Bipolar Bear
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2014, 02:28 PM   #21
axelrod is offline axelrod  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am unsure how to do that . So far I have only powered it through the bulb limiter . I plugged my guitar into it and it seemed to work ok . I have no osilliscope . I can test for DC at the output jack . There is a adjustment for DCOffset and one for Bias .
Old 29th September 2014, 12:25 AM   #22
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

where do you live that nobody owns a scope?
ok if your still only powering up on the bulb limiter what's the ac voltage across the device under test (your amp) still with a 100 watt lamp correct? describe filament glow (note that in my limiter i use clear glass lamps) while running faint audio i look for intensity changes and trends both are quick checks for supply stability.
Old 30th September 2014, 05:18 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default no scope

I dont know a single person with a scope and any business that might have one closed down long ago . I live 100km from Ottawa .
I am using a clear 100watt bulb that glows when I turn the power on for a sec then settles down to barely nothing . When I come off standby to play it does the same . When playing it seems to operate properly with no action from the light bulb. There is no extra noise when playing . It is dead quiet except for the guitar .

Last edited by axelrod; 30th September 2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:14 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

ok what is the voltage seen by the amp?
Old 1st October 2014, 11:58 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default hmm

I am unsure what that means . If you can tell me where to measure it , I gladly will .
Thanks
A
Old 1st October 2014, 10:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

any safe convenient point anywhere along the ac into the transformer primary of your amp.
sorry i guess i assume your fairly acquainted with basic multimeter testing i'll try to clarify or be more specific.
to elaborate at this time i'm trying to help determine if your safe to try your amp on regular AC.
many repairs can run forever on a "dim bulb tester" (it is a current limiter) but at full voltage may still exibit problems.
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:42 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

I have only fixed one stereo before . I prolly got lucky and I blew up a lot of stuff along the way . Thats where I learned about the bulb limiter . I'll get that test performed ASAP .
I dont want to blow up any parts on this one cuz it belongs to a friend .
Old 3rd October 2014, 02:37 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have 104vac at the primary . My new diode bridge came in the mail and is much bigger than the one I changed .It is installed and fits nicely just the same . Looks like the one that was in there was under spec . A 5amp(RB40) instead of a 8amp(KBPC804) and not working by my meager testing . I have the DB called for which arrived in a week from Romania .
Still operating through the limiter but acting properly .
I really get a kick out of this stuff .

Last edited by axelrod; 3rd October 2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:05 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

with the voltage that close i think your safe to try it with normal AC.

in case it hadn't occurred to you changing the wattage of the lamp in your limiter varies the current limit.i have a selection of lamps comprising of everything from 7 watt to switchable 100w lamps to create a 500w limiter.it all comes down to approximating what you'd expect the device to draw while setting a reasonable limit for testing.
Old 3rd October 2014, 01:51 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default bulbs

I have a range of 25watt to 100 wat bulbs for the limiter. I can see where some more would be helpful for these higher draw units .
Ok , I will try full voltage . I wasnt sure since I'm still using one of the old power output transistors .
Thanks again

A

Trace-Elliot Bipolar BearHide this!Advertise here!